Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I choose the materials for my DIY Oven + Dishwasher cabinet.

spacepolitix
Getting Established

How do I choose the materials for my DIY Oven + Dishwasher cabinet.

Hello,

This is my first ever DIY furniture item. I want a cabinet that can fit a dishwasher and an oven, but there wasn't anything cheap.
I've attached my own design - this is my first time doing this so please let me know if there is anything that sticks out as being very wrong.

My my concern is what type of wood to use, and how to go abouts painting/coating it so that it is white and also won't be damaged by the oven's heat. Please give me advice on this.

I don't have any DIY tools at home so I will have to get it all custom cut somewhere.Acrobat_2021-02-28_05-45-59.pngAcrobat_2021-02-28_05-46-26.png

Cheers

Re: How do I choose the materials for my DIY Oven + Dishwasher cabinet.

Hi @spacepolitix,

You could construct the cabinet from 2440 x 1220 x 18mm AA Grade Mixed Hardwood Marine Plywood. I've suggested the Marine-grade, as it also has the best finish with no knots. If you were to select the ECOply 2400 x 1200 x 15mm CD Structural Plywood you'll likely need to use timber filler on the surface before painting.

Regarding painting the unit, it might be slightly overkill, but the internal surface could be sprayed with White Knight 300g High Temp Spray Paint - White. The external of the cabinet would be fine to paint in something similar to Dulux Aquanamel.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects