Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I paint a white rusty fridge?

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

How do I paint a white rusty fridge?

Could someone give me ideas on how to paint a rusty fridge please. Any kind of advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I paint a white rusty Fridge

Hello @eriswa

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your fridge.

Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a few photos of your fridge? This will allow our members to assess your fridge's condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. Generally speaking, if it is just light rust on the body, I suggest sanding that area with some sandpaper and applying some White Knight 0.125L Rust Guard Rust Converter.

However, if it is serious rust damage we'll definitely have to see what it looks like. If you need assistance posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
eriswa
Cultivating a Following

IMG20220624161845.jpg

Hi Eric, thanks for your reply.

It's an old faithful Westinghouse Freezer(Australian made) we've had for 35+ years just as a spare in the garage. There's a bit of rust around the handle and very light spots on the front door, one side of the fridge and same on top, nothing major. I'll try and post some pics from my phone later.

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Front of FridgeFront of FridgeTop of FridgeTop of Fridge

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric

Just posted some photos of my Freezer.

Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @eriswa

Thank you very much for posting those photos of your fridge. It seems you are at the very early stages of rust development. I suggest washing the top and front of the fridge with a washcloth along with soap and water. Then wipe it with Selleys Sugar Soap Wall Cleaning Wipes - 25 Pack. Your goal is to remove all the wax, oils and debris that's attached to the fridge. 

Once you've fully dried off the fridge, I suggest using Bondall 250ml Ranex Rustbuster Rust Converter. Make sure to give the rust converter enough time to work before wiping it off. Generally, I would recommend sanding the surface of the fridge but it looks like you are still able to do a touch-up of the surface. 

I suggest using White Knight 300g Gloss Appliance White Paint And Prime. This is an all-in-one product and can be sprayed directly onto the surface of the fridge. Please note that the white finish will be different from your current refrigerator colour. I suggest masking those areas you don't want the spray paint to go on to.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint window frames ( the techniques used are applicable to your fridge project. )

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric, thanks for your reply.

I was going to paint the whole freezer. It doesn't have to be perfect as it's sitting in the garage.

I'll follow your instructions and probably lightly sand it right back and use the paint you suggested. Would one can be sufficient to do the whole freezer?

As for the rusty bits, I have a bottle of White Knight Rust Guard(TREAT highlighted) Rust Converter. Would that be OK if I was to rub it back (just the rusty bits) with wet & dry and apply the Rust Converter before painting?

Hope this all make sense to you.

Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I paint a white rusty fridge?

Hello @eriswa

One can of paint will be more than enough to cover your fridge. It's great that you've got some White Knight Rust Guard left, that will be perfect for treating those little rust spots on the fridge. It's ok to sand down those spots that are really bad, just make sure to touch it up with the White Knight before you paint it. Please remember to give it a good clean before you start painting.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Re: How do I paint a white rusty fridge?

Thanks Eric,  I'll send you a photo when all is done. 

Cheers 

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric, went to bunnings today to get the White Knight 300g gloss appliance white paint and primer. Is it silver as it had Silver on the can with a Silver lid. The sales person said she hasn't got a white one with primer. There was one WK white paint but not with primer. Cheers 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects