Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How should I fix the space above fridge?

SophDIY
Getting Established

How should I fix the space above fridge?

I had to remove the cupboards above the fridge, as we got a new fridge and it was too tall. Now there is a gaping hole and I'm not sure how to fill it. Any ideas? :smile: 

IMG_2425.JPGIMG_2424.JPGIMG_2423.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How should I fix the space above fridge?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SophDIY. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

You could potentially resize the carcass and doors to suit the new height, but It looks like the doors might have a panel with border trim which would make it trickier. In that case, you couldn't just slice the appropriate amount off the top or bottom as the trim would look unusual.

What did you use the cupboard for and do you have any particular items you wish to store in that area? Often people will install a couple of open shelves in this location to store cookbooks and wine bottles etc. The gap down the side of the fridge could also enable you to make the worlds greatest spice rack.

Let me mention the fantastic @redracer01 to see if they can come up with some ideas.

I look forward to seeing what our creative member's ideas are for this space as I am sure this is a commonly underutilised space in most homes.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
renomegan
Getting Established

I agree with Mitchell as below, with regards to open shelving. Or possibly a narrow pantry to the left (not sure the width that's there) and open shelving above this, or above the fridge, if you ran the pantry all the way up. I suppose though from what I can see from your pics it may be hard to get a small off the shelf pantry to match. The other thing I was going to say is open shelves to the height of the fridge on the left and cabinets above, but again there could be the same issue with them matching. Otherwise you could frame it up and gib (I'm in NZ - if you are in Aus not sure what you call it there, plasterboard?) it. This could be costly however to get a plasterer in and painting it, but still a possible solution.  If you were to do this it would be best to remove that timber side panel, to the left of this space, and make that a proper wall too. 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @SophDIY 

Matching doors in an established kitchen can be difficult. So our goal is to enhance or compliment the current set up without over spending on our capital. Using project pine panels you can do the following. You use a project panel that compliments the existing oak mahogany color of your door and create a frame for you to place sliding baskets. You can stain and varnish the panels until it is close to the color of your existing panels. Leave the panels as a natural color and clear coat it to create a firm contrast between your kitchen (daring I know, but not for everyone). Below are the drawings and the drawer! Enjoy!

Cheers,

Red

asoph1.jpgasoph2.jpgasoph3.jpg1 of these in each shelf, what do you think?1 of these in each shelf, what do you think?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@redracer01 Wow, thank you so much! This is really helpful, I love your idea of keeping it open and having the side panels. Thanks again, we might just give that a try! :smile: 

SophDIY
Getting Established

@renomegan thanks so much for this. I agree keeping it open would be nice. And we're on a bit of a budget, so I think we'll avoid the plasterboard option for now. Thanks for your help!

@Amita thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it. You're right, the cupboards did have a trim and would look strange being trimmed. I love the idea of keeping it open with books, bottles etc. Loove the spice rack idea, too! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects