Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a pantry with drawers and doors?

Laurens
Building a Reputation

How to build a pantry with drawers and doors?

Pantry.jpg

We have a small kitchen with this old storage space that I want to convert to drawers to a height of approx 1000mm then shelves and doors over that.

The problem is the size of the area..

The sizes are 1210 wide,  2300 high, and 795 deep.

I want to utilise the whole space which means I can't buy ready-made  that fits, so I have to build it from scratch, which is rather daunting.

I searched Google and contacted Flatpack, they didn't get back to me. I also spoke to 2 other companies who told me the job was too small.

Kaboodle isnt interested either.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build a pantry with drawers and doors?

Hi @Laurens,

Sorry to read you haven't had much luck with flatpacks, however, Workshop can help you D.I.Y. custom drawers and doors for your pantry. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist but I'll tag in a few of our fantastic Workshop members @TedBear@Renowayoflife, and @Jewelleryrescue and ask how they would approach this project. 

We would love to see your pantry transform, please keep us updated with some progress photos. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

I love that you're taking on this project, it will be so satisfying. For right now I don't really have any advice right now, we will be building our pantry soon and I will be sharing all of the details along the way. I have designed it, we plan to add drawers and shelves and will be sharing the overall build on our social pages when it happens. We are aiming to start kitchen and pantry in June ish. 

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful right now. I'm not sure how helpful it is but I have added some links below to our pantry design and also the blog sharing our initial design process.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqAMBqwgnwK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://claireoch.com/2023/03/diy-pantry-design-to-build-in-7-easy-steps/

I can't wait to see what you do

Claire 

TT

IG 

Blog

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Laurens 

I think it's time to take the next step in your D.I.Y journey. Building a drawer is just like building a box, only without a top cover. You have the sides, the front, the back and bottom panel. Once you have these parts joined together, you now have a functional drawer box. The next step is to put the drawer runners on and putting it into your preferred position. 

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to change compartment to drawer in caravan? by @HelYeah. The steps I've outlined in the discussion are applicable to your project. 

I propose grabbing pen and paper and sketching out a plan. How big do you want your drawers to be? Do you want double or triple drawers with provisions for cutlery? Are they all just for pots and pans or will something else get stored in it? These are some of the questions you'll need to consider when you start making your plan. Once you've finished your plan, I encourage you to share it with the community. We can then have a look and make suggestions on how to proceed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Laurens
Building a Reputation

You are way ahead of me there..

I have to first accurately measure the space I am going to be working in and double check if the width is suitable for a single, very wide drawer or I should make the drawers side by side..

The depth of the space is 795 mm. Can I utilise that space, or is it lost to me (rhetorical question)

The other thing I have to make sure of is that the back of the space is the same width as the front..

Then I have to make a list of the material I might need and see if I have the room to cut the large sheets.

Does Bunnings cut melamine sheets to size?

Somewhere in there I also have to work up the courage to start the project because once I get started there is no turning back.

I will have a plan to set drawers in, accurately placing runners (horizontally) so drawers fronts will fit...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Laurens 

While I was thinking of other ideas for your pantry, it occurred to me that you have enough space for two 600 drawer base cabinets. This would save you from having to build anything and you can choose different profiles for the drawer fronts. If you do decide to use Kaboodle parts you can order custom sized panels for pantry doors which you will not have to adjust.

The only drawback of course is that you won't be able to use the entire depth of the pantry for your drawers. I've placed some images below to give you an idea of what they look like.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.    

Eric

Laurens
Building a Reputation

I was planning to pop in to Bunnings tomorrow to have a look at the base cabinets to see what might work.. The two sitting side by side would be perfect.

Can I fit another one on top?

I want to maximise the drawers to utilise the space..

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Laurens,

You could fit another set of drawers on top, but they might be hard to access. Here are a couple of renderings using wall cabinets. You could mount them flush to the front, but there's going to be a vacant space behind them. I've included a rendering of them pushed to the rear wall. Also, two 600mm pantry's would fit in the space, but you won't get the drawers.

Mitchell

Laurens
Building a Reputation

I will buy the carcasses and slip them in to see what might be best in that situation.

I am determined to get as many drawers in as possible, even if I have to modify a carcass.

I shall start with 2 side by side and take it from there.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects