Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build kitchen island wooden extension over stone?

RUNNAMUKK1
Growing in Experience

How to build kitchen island wooden extension over stone?

Hey guys. Just trying to find some ideas and hopefully dimensions that preferably won't break the bank on the best option to add some sort of wooden waterfalled edged benchtop that would become an extension over the backside of my current stone island benchtop. I've attached photos above of the idea I'm going for and my current benchtop to hopefully get some advice from anyone reasonably skilled or DIY'rs who've done similar on the how to, how hard and how much I'm potentially looking at to get this done. Appreciate anyones

237cc3198268e0451324ce0adff10901.jpg

73dec088c58bb53b39515d81d72eb472.jpg

Screenshot_20220817-115652_Outlook.jpg

Screenshot_20220722-031335_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

feedback 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build kitchen island wooden extension over stone?

Looks like a great project to tackle @RUNNAMUKK1 now that you have built your terrific pool blanket box.

Sorry for the delay, but I'm sure one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts @EricL will be keen to assist as soon as possible.

Let me also tag a few experienced members in @homeinmelbourne@tom_builds@redbournreno and @Remarka6le for their thoughts on how they would embrace this challenge.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

That second example looks more like Laminate or Melamine than it does wood, if that's the case then it would be as simple as showing the images and desired dimensions to a wholesaler to cut and then bracing the pieces together / to the bench / to the floor if you're confident enough with your ability. 

If we're using the second example as a guide and we were wanting wood, my approach would be to get get lengths of the desired wood cut to size for all three sides at Bunnings, take it home, sand, lightly bevel edges, stain to the desired darkness, clear finish, assemble over bench, secure all three sides to bench and floor. Cost would be for Wood, stain, clear coat and materials for however you're securing the bench, I don't see it as being a super expensive project. 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RUNNAMUKK1

My apologies for the late reply. If you have the necessary tools, it is possible to build this table from the benchtops available at the store. However, if you are after a specific colour and finish on your benchtop it will need to be ordered at the special orders desk. If for example, you use Think Timber 2400 x 600 x 32mm Beech Benchtop, it's just a matter of cutting the panels to the height and length that you need so that it is slightly larger than your current island. 

The easiest way to join the benchtops would be to use an ordinary butt join and drill some holes using a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig 310. This will allow you to drill mounting holes that are technically out of sight. You can use either silicone or small angle brackets attached to the floor to secure the extension so that it will not move. If you wish to add additional support, I recommend putting angle brackets where the benchtops join together.

I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how it can be put together. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you have any questions about the assembly, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redbournreno
Having an Impact

Gorgeous idea @RUNNAMUKK1 

I actually have n o idea how to make that happen.  I suppose the first big decision is whether you want real timber with the rustic effect like your first photo, or if a wood look laminate will achieve what you want.  Because the method of fixing would be different between the two materials.

Also the point where the existing benchtop meets the new timber section would need to be joined well, or it will probably get a bit yucky with all the kitchen water and crumbs etc. Since you have a sink there, I would recommend the slightly raised version of the first photo, resting above the existing benchtop.

Lots to think about but I would suggest you ask your local handyman/carpenter/cabinetmaker for advice. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects