Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change compartment to drawer in caravan?

HelYeah
Finding My Feet

How to change compartment to drawer in caravan?

At the moment my caravan has 3 draws and then the 4th compartment under these looks like a drawer but is not. It is just a flip out front with a deep cavity. Can someone please guide me as to how I can put in draw runners and turn it into a draw? I know NOTHING about this sort of thing so I need clear direction!

The internal width of the cavity is approx 38cm and the depth is approx 50cm.

Please see my crappy photos attached.

Thankinside2.jpglatch open.jpgfront look.jpgangle inside.jpginside.jpgs! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to change compartment to drawer in caravan?

Hello @HelYeah

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about changing your cabinet compartment into a drawer.

If you have some basic tools in your possession such as a circular saw, drill, drill bits, pencil and ruler it's possible for you to build your own drawer. You'll also need safety gear such as safety goggles, gloves and a dust mask. This is an excellent way to dip your toes into D.I.Y. as this is one of the basic building exercises you can do when starting your D.I.Y. journey.

I've placed a sample diagram below of how you can build the drawer itself. Please note that the measurements I've placed are approximations and I suggest double-checking them to make sure they fit your cabinet. However, if you feel that this project is too involved, I recommend engaging the services of a professional handyperson. 

Please have a look at the sketches and if you have any questions about them, please let us know.     

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Excellent thanks! I think the trickiest bit will be putting the runner in the cavity and making sure I don't have the draw attempting to slide in too high or too low!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @HelYeah

In order to keep the drawer properly spaced use some timber pieces as spacers. You can do the same with the drawer runner to have them at a uniform height.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your drawer installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects