Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create more space in small kitchen reno?

Giselle
Finding My Feet

How to create more space in small kitchen reno?

Hi everyone, I'm new to Bunning and just read some posts recently regarding house reno and am glad that most of them have had their great advice from Bunning experts and communities. I'm planning to reno my kitchen as below pics, about 2.5x4m (approximately), currently, it is very small and difficult to manage or do my cooking. Are there any ideas on how could I improve this to be more spacious? And I also want to change the flooring, benchtop, splashback, cooktop and cabinets, etc... to bring a new look to this kitchen. I'd love to add an island if the space allows getting more spots for preparing food and open space and get air from the dining/living to the kitchen if possible.

Appreciate all advices/ideas contributed. 

Thank you, Giselle.280370266_765070154506031_8366233131514086630_n.jpg283762334_586448319481149_2669184216201371280_n.jpg283971507_410427264280908_8190912663974211073_n (1).jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create more space in small kitchen reno?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Giselle. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for the question about renovating your kitchen.

It looks like you could quite easily open up the space by removing that shelved wall (if it's not weight-bearing) and encroaching on the dining area slightly with the island. Check out this helpful guide on How to plan a kitchen renovation.

If you're lucky, your cabinetry carcasses might be able to have new doors used on them to update the look. However, that will only work if they suit available sizes. You could look at moving the stove and oven to the island, which would give you more room to maneuver.

I've added a rendering below of a possible solution. Let me know what you think. I'll also mention one of our knowledgeable members, @redbournreno, to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

Newkitchreno.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Giselle. We're thrilled to have you join us and look forward to seeing how you can transform your kitchen.

I trust you found Mitch's reply really helpful and inspiring. Let me also tag a couple of extremely experienced renovation experts in @2Belindas and @redbournreno to see if they might be able to share some further ideas with you.

All the best,

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Giselle 

It's fantastic that you've received great advice and an excellent render from my colleague @MitchellMc. Just to add to the ideas already suggested, I recommend removing not only the shelf wall but the wall for the fridge as well. This will open up your kitchen and give you maximum prep space. All the appliances you have will now be able to be put into a cupboard or a drawer.

I've moved your microwave to the other end so that there won't be any fight for space in the morning. I suggest placing the kettle and the toaster in the same vicinity as well. I've placed as many drawers as possible in your cabinet lineup, but please don't hesitate to tell me if you wish to have a different setup. I've also put in a canopy rangehood to save on cabinetry.

At the moment I'm not aware where you've relocated your refrigerator, but I suggest putting it next to the pantry. If you can provide us with a photo of that side of the wall, we'll know whether my idea will work or not. Please have a look at the sketches and tell us what you think.

If you wish to see it in another configuration, please let me know.

Eric

Giselle kitchen1.jpgGiselle kitchen2.jpgGiselle kitchen3.jpgGiselle kitchen4.jpgGiselle kitchen5.jpgGiselle kitchen6.jpgGiselle kitchen7.jpgGiselle kitchen8.jpg

Hi @Giselle,

Kitchens can throw up a lot of challenges and do require quite a bit of thought. You need to identify your budget at the start too. Both layouts suggested will work ok, each have their plus and minus. 

@EricL one has a lot of cabinetry and do will be more expensive but WOW what a fantastic big and functional kitchen you will have in the end. The negative is walking in the entrance and maybe the fridge will be too obvious in that location?

@MitchellMc suggested layout is packed with value. Avoid having your cooker on the island bench though. I'd suggest putting it to the left of your fridge. But space will be tight for compliance, so see if you can move the wall out to move the fridge over to the right more. That will also create a gorgeous useful nook near your entrance for storage and display. 

Lots to think about. Take accurate measurements before you go instore for the consultation. Good luck! Belinda

Hey Mitchel,

Thanks alot for fanstatice drawing idea for my kitchen. However, my concern is the wall on the right hand - opposite of the cooktop might be unremovable I believe, it is my headache as I couldnt move it and get some space for my kitchen. Any idea you think?

Giselle

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Giselle

In these situations, I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder and asking for a quote. The builder can then make recommendations on how to remove your load-bearing wall and either replace it with a beam or a pillar system. Once the ceiling structure is properly supported you can now install your kitchen unhindered.

I'm sure my colleague @MitchellMc will add more information in case I've missed anything.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hi EricL,

Thanks heaps for your ealier drawing to me and suggestion of engaging builder. I want to keep it remodeling in budget but love to have more space (greedy I am lol) then I might consider extent bench top to L-shape and skip island (sadly).

Giselle

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Giselle

I understand you want more space for your kitchen, but in order to move forward, you'll need to seriously consider what steps are you willing to take to get a really functional kitchen? Getting a builder to come and do a consultation is not that expensive. You get a real-world cost of how much it will take to remove that wall. 

You then need to add this cost to your kitchen renovation budget. You'll be surprised how quickly you can save up for it if you're really keen and focused. I recommend that you wait until you have the proper funds to execute a full kitchen renovation. Renovating it now will not produce the results you are hoping for, especially if the space available stays the same. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric,

You're truly right, yeah, this is part of my house're renovation so I will definately get Builder consulting my kitchen too. I will come back seek your advise when it comes with solution.

Thanks all the great helps so far.

Giselle

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects