Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to deal with uneven tiled floor?

Henski
Cultivating a Following

How to deal with uneven tiled floor?

hi, I don’t if possible, thought I would make a post and see.

I am renovating my kitchen on a budget. I have found out the previous owner put the current kitchen tiles over the orig tiles and the newer tiles go up the edge of the current cabinet walls.

With the blueprint for the new ikea kitchen, I need to fill in a small space with a ceramic tile undergarment or concrete sheet so there is no gap to the the proposed cabinets on the left wall,

I would look to hire a floor tiler or a handyman to do this since I have never done something like this.

Do u know if it can be done?

Handyman can look to just glue a concrete board etc in that space from the concrete subfloor to top of existing tiles? as long as it’s perfectly level to the existing tiles is all that matters as I will then later cover the entire floor in lvt planks, so  it doesn’t matter that the colours will clash as it will be hidden under the planks,

Space to fill in is rectangular, 270mm wide by 1770mm long.

A few old red tiles would have to removed also so the section is all concrete base,

Expect the old tiles with the new tiles are about 35mm off the concrete floor.

If going ahead, I would remove the current cabinet so the area is all accessible.

tx in advance for any advise, I’m trying to sort the floor with the costly and lengthy time option if ripping it all up..

F7ED0671-B4FD-4933-9DD0-ACEB70A4C602.jpegE21FDE4F-BE1A-4830-A6C6-6350CDD7F2ED.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to deal with uneven tiled floor?

Hi @Henski,

Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL to assist you as soon as possible.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Henski
Cultivating a Following

Tx, I have been chatting with a flooring company today.

beleive it can be done but hurdle is even if it’s flat, they said can’t lay 2mm lvt planks like polyfloor superplanks.

to lay planks on top of existing tiles it has to be hybrid planks and rigid they said.

They advised most hybrid planks are 5mm think, in addition to the material ask below, can u advise the thinnest hybrid plank avail if what they say is right?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Henski

Thank you for sharing your question about your uneven tiled floor. You can easily fill the gap between the tiles by using plywood or MDF timber. I suggest measuring the height of the tile and cutting some timber so that it fits into the uneven area. You can use construction glue to keep it in place and once the flooring goes on, it will no longer be seen. 

If all the old kitchen parts are being removed and the area will be totally empty, you just need to fill the gap so that you can put your new flooring on. I've placed a diagram below for your reference.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Henski
Cultivating a Following

Tx for this, last question.

can u advise the thinnest hybrid plank or floating floor board u know of?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Henski,

The thinnest option I can find would be the HanWood Hybrid vinyl at 4.5mm thick. The floating or laminate floor is often considerably thicker.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Mitchell

Henski
Cultivating a Following

2 options I have it seems.

need to look to leave the remaining tiles and lay 2mm LVT plank over it, or it could be too high as prep to the floor is needed.

or

i need to try remove the top layer of tile from the bottom layer.

Is there a guide from bunnings on how to diy it?

I will try myself as it doesn’t need to be perfect, just leave a level floor to lay new floor tiles or hybrid

info i have on that from google is:

Start by removing all the grout using a grout saw, rotary cutter, oscillating tool, or utility knife. Next, position a chisel in the grout line under the bottom of the tile, and tap it gently with a hammer to see if the tile will pop loose (be careful not to chip or crack the adjoining tile). If not, insert a thin, flexible putty knife under the tile and try working it loose

looking for a video guide on exactly it could be done by me

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day @Henski 

I may not be grasping the problem - sincere apologies if I'm not.

But don't we just need the height of the 'white' tiles (ceramic?) - which Eric asked about above?

IF will can fill this gap - will it then be all systems go with your new IKEA kitchen?

The most important dimension?The most important dimension?

Henski
Cultivating a Following

Hi there, I have found out even if I lay 2mm LVT on the top tiles it likely will be too high as a levelling compound likely has to be put down on the top tiles first.

So im trying to find out if there is a way for me to remove completely the top level of tiles myself  and leave the bottom tiles only for the floor installer.

ie use a multi function tool like the ozito one at https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-300w-multi-function-tool_p6290554 to carefully remove the top level of tiles. Iwould only buy that if I knew I could remove the top tiles and leave the bottom ones.

it would probably be 40mm or so from the concrete subfloor, but it doesn’t matter the measurement as I would tell the kitchen installer the height of the LVT planks that would be put in and they adjust the height of the cabinets so it would be flush.

then the kitchen would be all good to install.

sry it’s a bit hard to show as  need to fully remove a cabinet to get access but see more pics attached

B2003EBA-6902-46F4-B505-BBCB00C68BEB.jpegD9ADC71B-87F2-4621-A628-511CE8BBA912.jpeg

tx for your help

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Okay...

So we're no longer wanting to match the height of the white tile (7mm?) - you want them all gone?

20220714_121519.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects