Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to deal with uneven tiled floor?

Henski
Cultivating a Following

How to deal with uneven tiled floor?

hi, I don’t if possible, thought I would make a post and see.

I am renovating my kitchen on a budget. I have found out the previous owner put the current kitchen tiles over the orig tiles and the newer tiles go up the edge of the current cabinet walls.

With the blueprint for the new ikea kitchen, I need to fill in a small space with a ceramic tile undergarment or concrete sheet so there is no gap to the the proposed cabinets on the left wall,

I would look to hire a floor tiler or a handyman to do this since I have never done something like this.

Do u know if it can be done?

Handyman can look to just glue a concrete board etc in that space from the concrete subfloor to top of existing tiles? as long as it’s perfectly level to the existing tiles is all that matters as I will then later cover the entire floor in lvt planks, so  it doesn’t matter that the colours will clash as it will be hidden under the planks,

Space to fill in is rectangular, 270mm wide by 1770mm long.

A few old red tiles would have to removed also so the section is all concrete base,

Expect the old tiles with the new tiles are about 35mm off the concrete floor.

If going ahead, I would remove the current cabinet so the area is all accessible.

tx in advance for any advise, I’m trying to sort the floor with the costly and lengthy time option if ripping it all up..

F7ED0671-B4FD-4933-9DD0-ACEB70A4C602.jpegE21FDE4F-BE1A-4830-A6C6-6350CDD7F2ED.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to deal with uneven tiled floor?

I am no tiler.

But I would think the adhesive on the white tiles would not have stuck that brilliantly to the polished surface of those old red tiles?

Dunno.

So maybe they will lift easily?

I personally would try a Cresent pry-bar with hammer.

If no success, move onto bigger guns.

20220714_124040.jpg

Henski
Cultivating a Following

Yes looking for the top tiles to all go now but I’m nervous on how to start with it as don’t know how to approach it and to know if they’ll easily come off

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello again @Henski 

"but I’m nervous on how to start"

Ok - I understand. May I suggest going to the Bunnings tool shop with some photos and explain what you're trying to do. They may come up with some ideas and tools to help.

I still think a wide-edged cold chisel and hammer would be a good place to start. I personally wouldn't be going down the multi-tool pathway you mentioned on the previous page. Give it a go - at least we will know if they're difficult or easy to lift. Don't forget gloves and eye protection.

Even if the bottom tiles start to lift as well - that'd be a bonus - no? That way you'll have a fresh concrete surface to work with. Please, let us know how you got/get on.

20220714_141830.jpg

Henski
Cultivating a Following

tx, ill do that, yes no big deal if the red tiles come up to and the whole floor will then be the slab

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How are you getting on @Henski?

I'd suggest that if you're going to the effort of removing tiles, then perhaps removing both layers would be best. You'll then have a solid slab to re-surface and work off. That would be more straightforward than attempting to remove the one layer of tiles, self-level, before laying your flooring. 

You could grab an Ozito Rotary Hammer Drill and chisel both layers of tiles straight off.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects