Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to dry floor under kitchen cupboards?

Omphalie
Finding My Feet

How to dry floor under kitchen cupboards?

Hi,

My water filter overflowed last night and water dribbled onto the kitchen floor all night without me noticing. I woke up in the morning to a few small puddles on the vynil and then realised a large area of the masonite stabilisation plates underneath was soaking wet. I cut and removed the vynil, moped it all up and put dyers, fans and a dehumidifyer on and the surface started to dry out after a few hours, When I inspected under the house the hardwood floor boards and some of the beams were quite wet too. By the end of the day all the wet stains on the masonite plates had disappeared and the hardwood floorboards looked dry. I had put fans under the house as well. The area I could not get to is under the cupboards. The kitchen sink cupboard and also the cupboard between kitchen and dining. The fact that the boards underneath the house in that area were wet and the masonite plates area on either side of the cupboard were wet too calls for inspecting and airing and drying the floor under the cupboards. How will I get there?

The kickboards look as if they are glued and non-removable. Would I need to remove the actual floor board in the cabinets? Or would drilling holes be sufficinet to get airflow and heat into this area?
I would appreciate suggestions how to go about this and cause the least damage and proceed the fastest. What kind of professional might I need to call for assistance? Cabinet maker, handy man? I have another 24 hours before mould is likely to develop. Thanks for your help.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to dry floor under kitchen cupboards?

Hi @Omphalie,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Sorry to read of your flooding incident, I know how stressful that can be. 

I have enlisted the services of professional emergency flood restoration experts in the past after an incident at an apartment complex. The business was called Flood Response. I believe there would be many similar businesses that you could engage in your area. Your insurance company might be the best point of call in the first instance.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jason

got great news. I took things on Sundy into my own hands, researched and worked all day and successfully dried my floors with two fans under the house and heaters and a dehumidifyer on the kitchen. The lovely trady from Restoration Projects in Penrith joked that he wanted to offer me a job because I did so well with my few devices. There is still some moisture under the kitchen cupboards but the builder who came out as well affirmed me that it is very unlikely for mould to develop. Next step is to get the floor done.

This is a great serviice that you offer! Really appreciate not being all alone when a practical problem in the house arises.

Kind regards

Marlies   

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work, Marlies (@Omphalie). I'm so pleased to hear you resolved the issue; that must be a relief.

I'd agree that as long as the source of the water and leak has been resolved, the chance of developing mould in that area is minimal.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects