Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gaps in tiles from old kitchen Cabinetry please

Pixie
Getting Established

How to fill gaps in tiles from old kitchen Cabinetry please

Hi all,

I'm looking for advise as to what to do with these tiles which need fixing. I only have 7 tiles spare. As much as I would love new flooring is not going to happen anytime soon. The kickboards can't be done until I find a way to patch them.  Depending on what's suggested as to if my partner and I could DIY it.  I've got my doubts about abilities as we both have health issues that tend to get in the way.  Thank you in advance.

E45F8ACC-0F9F-4795-853B-46FADE6430E0.jpeg

2CD81D1E-B284-4BD9-AC12-91195A9D9CBA.jpeg

57B177FD-A6F5-4F0B-AFFB-D0B163896967.jpeg

5201F77F-89C0-4B9F-A526-97A9854FEA2F.jpeg

9E4C5BED-BB19-4D49-8D9B-BF2B965E66FB.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gaps in tiles from old kitchen Cabinetry please

Hello @Pixie

Thank you for sharing your question about filling the gaps in your tiles.

Looking at the pictures you posted, I don't think seven tiles will be enough to cover the remaining gaps in your kitchen. However, I suggest trying to find the closest compatible tile in colour and size. Because it is located at the bottom of your kitchen cabinets, it will not be the first thing people see in a kitchen. Below are my suggested steps:

• Count the number of tiles you will need to finish your floor minus the seven that you already have. Add three extra tiles for the spots where it may be necessary to cut the tiles to fill a gap.
  • Lay the tiles out without glue, this will give you a representation of where the tiles will be once you glue them into place and reassures you that you have enough tiles to finish the project. 
  • For the gaps that are really small around 18mm under your under-bench microwave cabinet for example. I suggest filling that gap with grout that is close to the colour of the tile. 
  • I suggest renting the For Hire: 600mm Hand Tile Cutter - 24hr so that you will have time to practice.
  • I recommend watching the guide for tiling, prepare your materials, and when you are ready take your time doing it. If you have a question about the process post it and we will be more than happy to give you advice and information.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay floor tiles

Plus a guide to grouting: How to grout wall tiles

Let me tag our experienced member @tom_builds for his recommendation.

We look forward to seeing your tile floor repaired and your kickboards installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects