Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve ventilation for fridge?

Bubbles8712
Cultivating a Following

How to improve ventilation for fridge?

We’ve bought a new fridge which “suggests” in its manual to have 50mm clearance on all sides to assist the hot air to dissipate. 

We only have 22mm on all sides, 40mm at the top. The cavity it is going in also has a void above it that’s about 850H x 850W. As I am unsure whether this will still be a heat trap, I’m thinking about putting an air vent (link below) into the ceiling space. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/haron-285-x-225mm-white-ceiling-vent-with-baffle_p0814396

Will this help the hot air escape or does the vent need to vent out into the outside? Or am I going overkill and the existing 22mm clearance and cavity will suffice?

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to improve ventilation for fridge?

Hi @Bubbles8712,

If the air vent vents to another location other than the cavity, like the roof, it would allow some hot air to escape. However, your questions would be best posed to the fridge manufacturer. I can only imagine they have established the installation requirements for a reason. The gaps might not just be to allow hot air to escape from around the fridge. It could also be to allow radiant heat to escape the fridge. If the walls are too close and they heat up as well, the internal components could sustain damage.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects