Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Kaboodle cupboard and undermount rangehood?

timln
Growing in Experience

How to install Kaboodle cupboard and undermount rangehood?

Hey all,

Love the forums here, great, helpful reads.

Was wondering if anyone out in the ether has experience of installing a 60cm undermount or fixed range hood into a kaboodle?

kaboodle.cabinets seems quite shallow at circa 283mm and most rangehoods are deeper than that. Trying to one that would fit our current 283mm cabinet.

Does Bunnings or anywhere have a rangehoods that would fit?

Thanks

Tim

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: kaboodle cupboard + undermount rangehood

Hi @timln,

The majority of slideout rangehoods will fit in 283mm internal and 300mm external deep cabinetry. It appears the Bellini 60cm White Slideout Rangehood, BLANCO Slideout Rangehood, Bellini 60cm Stainless Steel Recirculating Slideout Rangehood, Bellini 60cm Stainless Steel Slideout Retractable Rangehood would fit. For slimline rangehoods there shouldn't be an issue either. Their front protrudes out past the cabinetry, but they mount fine to the underside. Both the Bellini 60cm Stainless Steel Slimline Rangehood and Bellini 60cm White Slimline Rangehood will work.

I believe I'm running into the same issue you've experienced with undermount rangehoods. Our units Bellini 52cm Undermount Rangehood or even the Everdure 52cm Stainless Steel Undermount Rangehood specify that they need a minimum inside depth of 384mm. Since you have less than that depth, you might need to consider the slimline or pullout varieties.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install Kaboodle cupboard and undermount rangehood?

Hello @timln 

My apologies for the late reply. I was rolling the problem in my head when it occurred to me that you can still make it work, but you will have to build a custom-sized range hood cabinet. I suggest retaining the standard outside dimensions of a Kaboodle 600mm Rangehood Cabinet but making it 345mm deep. The reason for this is that you can place 70 x 45 untreated timber behind the regular cabinets and still have all the wall cabinets lined up to the range hood cabinet. Plus you can still use standard range hood doors for the set.

I've placed a sample sketch below of how you can put it together. Please have a look and tell me what you think. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

timln rangehood1.jpg

timln
Growing in Experience

Hey Eric

Thank you very much for taking the time to work through this, much appreciated.

We looked at a few options similar to what you proposed but recently ended up swapping out the undermount and getting a pull out one instead (from Bunnings!), Made life and time much easier on our budget.

Appreciate your help!

IMG_20220531_190359001_MP.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @timln

Thanks for posting that update about your range hood. Are you doing just this part or has the rest of your kitchen been renovated? If it has,  would it be possible for you to post a photo once you've finished your renovation? I'm sure our members would be keen to see your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric 

Ehsanul
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

My cabinets are made 300mm (10mm the back panel so left with 290)

I am trying the under cabinet ranghood.

Now if i can cut to the back panel too i got 300mm free space so i can push back.

- the range hood spec says to cut only 270 hole to fit. But also says should leave 35mm from cupboard edge.

My panel guy's concerns is if we don't leave recommended edge it may not hold the weight. Its 15kg.

Spec and manual for your ref:

Thanks a lot in advance. 😊

Screenshot_20221119-205429_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20221119-192856_Drive.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ehsanul

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

I can understand why your cabinet builder is hesitant to apply this much weight inside your wall cabinet's bottom panel which has been cut to a smaller portion of its original size. Imagine 1 litre of bottled water and multiply that by 15, place the bottles in a bag and hang it on a piece of timber that is only 10mm wide and 10mm thick. That 10mm is all that's left on either side of your wall cabinet. You can now imagine the weight that is being applied to your timber cabinet.

I suggest either getting a larger wall cabinet or having one custom-built for the range hood. Your other options are to reinforce the bottom panel of the cabinet or exchange your range hood for another type. I understand that you prefer this range hood in your kitchen, but the cabinet builder is looking out for your safety. Have a think about your options and tell us what you would like to do.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your range hood fully installed.

Eric

Ehsanul
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

Really appreciate your quick response. I forget to mention, on the width the cabinet will have atleast 40 to 50mm both side after the cut. Its just the depth having that issue. What you say?

And lastly say if i need to change, do you recon the middle cabine which is for the range hood may get changed and will stick out 50/60mm comparing the two cabinet of its left and right. Do you think it would loom weird?

Cheers

EHSANUL 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ehsanul,

It's best to follow the manufacturer's instructions with installation. If it were safe to leave less than 35mm, the manufacturer wouldn't have that requirement as it restricts the number of cabinets their product could fit into. Typically cabinetry is made from laminated chipboard. Chipboard has far less structural integrity than timber, and anything less than a 35mm strip could easily be snapped.

I'd suggest you follow @timln's approach and work with a rangehood that suits your current cabinet. You could install deeper cabinetry, but you are correct in assuming that it could look unusual if it's proud of the other cabinets.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects