Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a rangehood and splashback?

Notiza
Just Starting Out

How to install a rangehood and splashback?

Hi, I would like to install a Parmco rangehood in my kitchen. I need ideas on what kind of splashback to install , also what to do with my bench top and cabinet doors( restore or fit new benchtop and cabinet doors? )

Screenshot_20210607-125229_Samsung Internet.jpg

20210607_115255.jpg

20210607_115501.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a rangehood and splashback?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Notiza. It's fantastic that you've joined us, and many thanks for the questions about your kitchen renovation.

You might like to start by looking through the extensive range of splashbacks for some inspiration. Gone are the days of only being able to tile the surface, and there are now many options available, including glass, acrylic, polymer and stainless steel.

The rangehood will come with installation instructions. Are you planning on installing it yourself? If so, we'd be happy to provide guidance and assist if you run into any issues along the way.

How much damage is there to the current doors? From your picture, there appears to be some peeling of the coating. If the hinges and drawer runners are still in good condition, you could consider replacing the door and draw fronts with Kaboodle panels. Some updated handles would make a world of difference and really modernise the styling.

It would be great to see some closer pictures of the water damage to the bench around the sink. If this damage hasn't turned into rot, then a restoration of the benchtop should be possible. Apart from the damage to the coating, which can be repaired, it looks like it's in reasonable condition.

We also have an In-Home kitchen design service that you might like to take advantage of.

Be sure to check out our Top ten most popular kitchen projects for more inspiration.

Let me mention @raymond265, @diy_hausdesigns, @Ari, @Trish2 and @NikkiMaree, who have all completed cosmetic renovations on their kitchens, to see if they have some advice and suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell 

I'll install myself, please see bench top photos below. I'm considering installing a glass splashback but not sure about what splashback to install along the sink. 

Screenshot_20210607-161557_Samsung Internet.jpg

20210607_142940.jpg

20210607_142958.jpg

20210607_142726.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Notiza,

The benchtop looks like it could be restored. However, you likely have to sand the timber around the sink to see how deep that greying goes. Depending on how far you need to sand it back, the repair might be noticeable. It's certainly worth a shot though.

If you have a word with a helpful team member at your local store's Special Orders desk, they'll be able to show you what custom splashbacks are available from our supplier. You should be able to have one made up that fits between the bench and window.

Mitchell

@Notiza 

The cabinet doors look like they are in good condition. If you were looking for a tidy up and colour change i don't think it would be a big job.

The benchtop does have some wear but if it was me I would be getting the sander out and seeing how good it can come up. If the greying isn't deep then it could definitely be restored for a relatively cheap price.

In terms of installing a range hood it's really just a matter of following the directions that are supplied. Alot of people vent it into the roof cavity but you should vent it to outside. I vented mine to an undereave vent. I will attach the photos I have of the install but I didn't really take much.

received_348132860075031.jpeg

received_440693727020497.jpeg

20210607_233114.jpg

received_194160359233025.jpeg

received_1391651067867333.jpeg

One last thing with installing a rangehood. I hope you don't have the problem of having a ceiling beam running directly above your stove like I did. It's a pain fitting ducting around beams.

Good luck.

Raymond.

@raymond265 

Thanks for the photos, I will install it the same way you did yours. I will use a stud-finder to avoid the ceiling beams. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see you've got the help and inspiration you needed @Smith. Please let us know if you need any further assistance with your project. We're here to help. Is this part of a larger kitchen renovation? We'd love to see what you are doing. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll get loads of helpful assistance from our clever and creative members who are sharing advice and inspiring projects on the site every day. 

Jason

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Notiza 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. If your looking for a quick turn around for your splash back, tiles would be the simplest to put in. If you were after some specific acrylic/polymer splash back colour it might have to be specially ordered and that may take some time. Same goes for glass if custom fitting is necessary. Depending on what your local store is currently carrying in stock colour wise those will be your choices. But if you have time then you just need to choose something that you like.

This is the beauty of timber bench tops. Repairing it is always an option, the dark spots on your bench top is like the dark spots on your timber fencing it is caused by water damage. I totally agree with @MitchellMc on being careful not to over sand this area so as not to cause a depression in the timber.

I notice that you've removed the corner door from your corner cabinet, if you need any assistance in repairing this please tell us and we will try to help. As for the rest of the doors a change of colour would be fine, it all goes to personal preference and the final look you are going for. A dark bench top with bright white cabinet doors and classic subway tiles will give you a fresh new look that is timeless and easily decorated by a colourful accessories. If you had something specific in mind or perhaps a colour scheme that you were possibly leaning towards to, we will be more than happy to offer our advise. Please keep us updated with your progress and if there is anything else we can assist with please post it here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red     

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects