Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install laminate kitchen benchtop?

danii_188
Just Starting Out

How to install laminate kitchen benchtop?

We are slowly updating look of kitchen as cost effective five as possible as we plan to stay here for a while. 

ive painted cabinet and exposed panels white, painted tiles a light grey. 

want to lighten benchtop and don’t want a painted plain colour finish and worried it would uphold. 

happy with laminate as cost effective but worried about tiles as don’t plan to change them. I’m suprised Bunnings don’t do benchtop install for laminate a finding reliable people not to rip you off hard. 

are they easy to remove and install if never don’t anything major like that. Nor do we have suitable tool. 

288A7CD7-0E7F-4558-B678-8A979CBDC74A.png

8B62AF01-8DC0-4EC5-B496-C35FBBB4A9E9.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install laminate kitchen benchtop?

Hello @danii_188

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing a laminate benchtop in your kitchen.

Thank you so much for sharing a picture of your repainted kitchen. It looks awesome and looking at the picture it seems the benchtop is still in good condition. However, if you wish to change it, there is one area that most installers worry about. It is the tiled splashback near the benchtop that is often the point of failure when tiles or walls crack. 

Handypersons will often try to remove the silicone or grout where the benchtop and splashback meet. But, for one reason or another, when the benchtop is pulled out one or two of the tiles is damaged. If you don't have a replacement piece, this means that you will spend a great deal of time looking for a replacement or the entire splashback is retiled to something else.

Another reason is if the replacement benchtop is either not thick enough or is too thick. If it's not thick enough the gap between the benchtop and splashback will be noticeable. If it's too thick the installer will have to account for an extra 10mm overhang that will produce possible issues when being installed. 

Replacing benchtops is not a beginner D.I.Y. project. My best advice is to have your benchtop quoted first. Show the in-store kitchen expert the size of your benchtop and the colour that you prefer. Next, I recommend placing the installation job on either Hipages or Airtasker, remember to include as much detail as you can about the job in order to get an accurate quote. You can also refer to registered handypersons in your area.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects