Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint vinyl wrap kitchen cabinet?

mmd22
Building a Reputation

How to paint vinyl wrap kitchen cabinet?

paint.png

Hello All 

My kitchen is  not very old, cabinet and structure is in good condition  but cabinets door and drawer  is with vinyl wrap on to of MDF and Vinyl Wrap is coming off few places and sometimes it is hard to open the drawers .

I think we need to remove all the wrap before painting.

do I need undercoat on MDF ?

Any idea how to remove vinyl wrap from MDF ?

I got some quote for 2 Pac Resurfacing but it is bit expensive . I saw some information here about Dulux paint but never use them. Is it paint good for MDF ? 

Can I please have some advice how to paint MDF and laminate ( as side panels are laminate)   ? what products and accessories  to use ?

Thank you everyone for your advice and information .

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Paint vinyl wrap Kitchen Cabinet

Hi @mmd22,

If your kitchen is not very old, then there is a good chance that your cabinetry is still under warranty. Have you checked with the manufacturer to see if it can be replaced?

If you are looking to solve the issue of the vinyl wrap peeling off, then you'd need to remove it before painting. If the vinyl doesn't easily peel off, you might need to heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun. You must be careful with the heat gun not to melt the vinyl.

Once the vinyl is removed, you'll need to sand the surface to remove traces of glue and then prime the surfaces. You can use water-based oil paint like Aquanamel to paint your cabinets. You'll need to use a paint designed for the laminate sections like the Dulux Renovation range. Check out our Best Advice article on Do you recommend the Dulux Renovation range for painting a kitchen? You'll find plenty of helpful information in the article from our knowledgeable members.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mmd22
Building a Reputation

Hello  MitchellMc

Thank you for your advice .

I moved in this property only last April and I do not have any warranty information . It has been hard to find information from previous owner through real estate agent , so I think I need find other option.

What size sand paper should I use  for MDF ? everyone is mentioned size  400 . 

I know you advised " water-based oil paint like Aquanamel to paint your cabinets. You'll need to use a paint designed for the laminate sections like the Dulux Renovation range.  "

Most of the information I found on Delux Renevation Range and White knight . There is lots of information and I am getting little unsure which one to decide ?

Is there any paint  I could use for laminate and MDF ( after Prime ) ?Do I need any Primer for Laminate ?

Thank you so much for your advise .

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The grade of sand-paper you'll need for the MDF will depend on what residue is left on them after removing the vinyl @mmd22. If it comes off well, you might not need to sand at all. I would have thought 400-grit is far too fine for MDF. I'd suggest something along the lines of 240-grit.

I have the most experience and have heard the most feedback on the Dulux Renovation range so that would be my recommendation. If you use the correct MDF primer, you can use the Renovation range over it. For the laminate, you'll need to use the laminate primer.

Mitchell

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Thank you so much for your quick reply MitchellMc.

Vinyl is coming off very easy so far .I peeled few of them by hand and MDF looking good .

I am on the way to Bunnings to get some sand paper and select the colour .

Could I please ask if I select Dulux Renovation Rang , does it come Varity of colour range  or Bunnings Paint shop will have to make it for me if I want different colour ?

Thank you again . You are a Legend . 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mmd22,

The Paint Shop team will happily mix the Renovation Range into your desired colour, as off the shelf, it comes just in plain white and a few select colours.

Keep us updated and reach out if you have further questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Thank you so much 

MitchellMc

I will post some photos after Painting . 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Make sure you grab some before pictures, @mmd22! They'll be great for comparing the changes you've made.

Mitchell

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Hi MitchellMc

when I went to Bunnings , I met a Dulux Representative . She in informed me that I can not use Dulux Renovation Rang for MDF , I need to use  Aquaname for paint . Bunnings Representation advise me the same . Will I have same good result with  Aquaname and Dulux Renovation Range ?

They advise me for laminate i can use Dulux Renovation range not for MDF .

Thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mmd22,

That's not entirely correct. I believe you can use the 1Step primer. However, the following is straight from the Renovation range datasheet:

TIMBER AND MDF DOORS 1st coat: Dulux Precision Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker When completely dry, lightly sand to remove any raised fibres. 2nd coat: Dulux Precision Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker* When completely dry, lightly sand to remove any raised fibres if present. 3rd coat: Dulux® Renovation Range Cabinet Doors in your chosen colour 4th coat: Dulux® Renovation Range Cabinet Doors in your chosen colour.

So, to follow those instructions to the tee, use can use Dulux Precision Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker as your primer over the MDF and then topcoat with the Renovation range for cabinet doors. Alternatively, as I mentioned earlier, you can use Aquanamel, but I feel the Renovation range will give you a more durable finish.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects