Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint vinyl wrap kitchen cabinet?

mmd22
Building a Reputation

How to paint vinyl wrap kitchen cabinet?

paint.png

Hello All 

My kitchen is  not very old, cabinet and structure is in good condition  but cabinets door and drawer  is with vinyl wrap on to of MDF and Vinyl Wrap is coming off few places and sometimes it is hard to open the drawers .

I think we need to remove all the wrap before painting.

do I need undercoat on MDF ?

Any idea how to remove vinyl wrap from MDF ?

I got some quote for 2 Pac Resurfacing but it is bit expensive . I saw some information here about Dulux paint but never use them. Is it paint good for MDF ? 

Can I please have some advice how to paint MDF and laminate ( as side panels are laminate)   ? what products and accessories  to use ?

Thank you everyone for your advice and information .

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Re: How to Paint vinyl wrap Kitchen Cabinet

Hi MitchellMc

Thank you again for your input .

The Dulux  representative told me to use Dulux Precision Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker then  Aquaname for MDF doors .But I just realised that Aquaname only comes semi gloss or gloss , they do not have Satin option .

I have few side panel melamine and edges ( please see photos).

I am thinking If I use same top coat products  for MDF , Malamine and edges it would be easy for me as it would colour and same finish > I did not have plan before to paint Melamine . It is Satin .If I use Aquaname it would be sami gloss as colour would be different .

So thinking for top coat same colour and same finish .

I know as you mentioned for MDF I need prime with Dulux Precision Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker and for Melamine  laminateIMG_4046.jpgIMG_4047.jpg Primer .

DO I  need use anything in the primer for Edges / stripes ??

Thank you so much your all the cooperation .

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Any laminate or edges strips (which are also laminate) must be primed with laminate primer @mmd22.

Please allow me until after the weekend, and I'll contact the Dulux Techincal Team to discuss your requirements. I'm sure we'll be able to find a suitable solution.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mmd22
Building a Reputation

Thank you so much   MitchellMc.

I would really appreciate that .

I look forward to hearing from you .

Hi @mmd22,

I've confirmed that the Renovation Range can be used over MDF. You'll need to apply Dulux Precision Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker to all the MDF doors following the instructions I provided above. The laminate panels and edging needs the Dulux Renovation Range Primer. You'll then be able to paint the whole lot with Dulux Renovation Range Cabinet Doors.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Hello MitchellMc

Thank you very much to find out that information for me .

Do I need to mix anything with  Dulux Renovation Range Primer  as I have edgings ?

I already brought 4mm microfiber roller . Do i need any specific size  Paint brush for tight corner or cut the sides ?

I am hoping to start end of the weekend  and I will upload photos when I am done .

Thank you again .    

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mmd22

For the tight corners, I suggest using a Pro Renovator 25mm Wall Paint Brush. It's easy to clean and provides a smooth finish. To prevent paint overlap on items you don't want accidentally painted, I suggest using Frog Tape 24mm x 55m Multi Surface Masking Tape. This will provide you with a border around the items you want to protect from paint.

It sounds like an interesting project. Any updates you can provide while working on the cabinetry would be very much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

mmd22
Building a Reputation

HI MitchellMc

Just wondering do I need to apply Dulux® Renovation Range Clear Coat as well ?

Thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mmd22

The Dulux 1L Renovation Range Clear Coat is used on tiles and benchtops for extra protection from everyday wear and tear.  It's not necessary to put on a clear coat for the Renovation Range for cabinet doors. 

Eric

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Hi MitchellMc

Could I please ask how many coat should I give on MDF with precision dulux stain , Smokey and odour blocker ? 
Thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mmd22

Generally, a single coat is all that's needed to prime the door for painting. The Dulux 1L PRECISION Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker is formulated to stop stains migrating through to the top coat. The only reason you'll have to put on a second coat is if you have very stubborn stains that keep rising to the top.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects