Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint vinyl wrap kitchen cabinet?

mmd22
Building a Reputation

How to paint vinyl wrap kitchen cabinet?

paint.png

Hello All 

My kitchen is  not very old, cabinet and structure is in good condition  but cabinets door and drawer  is with vinyl wrap on to of MDF and Vinyl Wrap is coming off few places and sometimes it is hard to open the drawers .

I think we need to remove all the wrap before painting.

do I need undercoat on MDF ?

Any idea how to remove vinyl wrap from MDF ?

I got some quote for 2 Pac Resurfacing but it is bit expensive . I saw some information here about Dulux paint but never use them. Is it paint good for MDF ? 

Can I please have some advice how to paint MDF and laminate ( as side panels are laminate)   ? what products and accessories  to use ?

Thank you everyone for your advice and information .

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Re: How to Paint vinyl wrap Kitchen Cabinet

Hi Eric 

thank you for your reply .

My MDF cabinet door does not have any  stain I can see .

please see photo

image.jpg

image.jpg

Do yiu think 1 coat is enough ? 

I have removed all the vinyl wrap from MDF .I was sanding with 240 but I can see lots of glue on the sand paper on which you cannot  see normally .

what number sand paper should I use ? Or is there any other way I could remove glue from mdf quickly ?  

I am trying to scrape off glue but it not going to be easy .

as you know , I am going to use Dulux precision stain smoke and odour blocker as primer .
Thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mmd22

Thank you for posting your kitchen cabinet doors. this is such a good example of the possibility of removing the vinyl wrap on your door and painting the timber panel underneath. To remove the glue faster you could use a Ryobi 300W Random Orbital Sander. This comes with a packet of sanding pads for you to use. It should remove the glue fairly quickly.

Now that I've seen your doors, I believe one coat is enough. However, it will not harm the doors if you wish to put a second coat on. Please make sure to give the primer enough time to cure before putting on the second coat.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mmd22
Building a Reputation

Thank EticL.

what sandpaper grit should I use to renege glue easily and quickly ?

Thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mmd22,

I apologise for the confusion. One coat of the Dulux precision stain smoke and odour blocker as the primer will not be enough. Above I provided very specific instructions, and it's essential that you follow them precisely.

MDF DOORS:

• 1st coat - Dulux Precision Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker. When completely dry, lightly sand to remove any raised fibres.

• 2nd coat - Dulux Precision Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker. When completely dry, lightly sand to remove any raised fibres if present.

• 3rd coat - Dulux® Renovation Range Cabinet Doors in your chosen colour.

• 4th coat - Dulux® Renovation Range Cabinet Doors in your chosen colour.

You will need at least two coats on the MDF and must sand lightly after them.

You could likely go down to 180-grit sandpaper to assist in removing any residual glue. As far as I can tell from the images, your doors are looking fairly smooth at the moment. Are they smooth to the touch or can you feel the glue on the surface?

Mitchell

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Thank you again MitchellMc.

I will do as per your instructions. Between 1st and 2nd coats and between 3rd and 4 coats what sand paper should I use ?

image.jpg

what about Laminate and edges ? How many primer coats do they need ?

my mdf doors smooth to touch but I can see feel edges some glue ( when touch ) because is little glossy .

as soon as I sand ( my hand ) glue stick to sand paper and can not use sand paper for long .

Please see photos , I had some old 120 p I used .

When I scrape with scraper I can see some   glue is coming off specially from the edges . I am not sure what size sand paper I should use ?

image.jpg

 left one is not clean and right one is sand and clean .it took me 2 hours for 4 drawers.

how much clean do I need to do ? Do I need to clean all the glue ?

EricL advise to use Roybi random 300W sander , do I need sand paper with that ?

Thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@mmd22,

Between the first and second coat of primer, 240grit should be fine. You must knock off the little spikey bits proud of the surface. If you can run your hand over the surface, you shouldn't be able to feel any bumps.

Only one coat of the primer is required on laminate or edging. 

How to apply: Wash brushes and rollers prior to use. Remove any loose fibres and hairs. Cut in as necessary using a 38-50mm high quality angled sash cutter brush. Coat surface using a 4mm nap 100mm wide microfibre roller. Lay off. Once each section is coated, gently go over the surface in the same direction with an unloaded roller using minimal pressure. This will give a smooth consistent finish. Using poor quality or worn rollers can affect the final finish achieved. Allow four hours between application of primer and topcoat.

It sounds like a power sander would speed up the process. This must be hard work by hand. The sander @Eric mentioned will come with a small amount of sandpaper, but you should pick up more at the same time.

It would be best if you removed all the glue from the surface. Perhaps you could try a bladed scraper to remove the bulk of the glue before sanding. Be very careful not to gouge the timber surface, though.

Mitchell

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Hello MitchellMc

Thank you again.

I am following your  all the instructions .

I had to use power sander with 60 gritt to remove the glue . Bladed Scraper did not help though .

Used lots of Pad. 

Done  2 coats Dulux  Precision Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker . rest of the steps will happen in coming days .

Could I please ask do I need any sanding with 400 gritt between 3rd and 4th coat ?

Thank you so much again. For your helpful informed I managed to start kitchen painting .

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd only sand if you have any imperfections or rough patches @mmd22. Otherwise, don't sand it if it is smooth and looks good.

I can't wait to see your results.

Mitchell

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Hi MitchellMc 

We are very pleased to see the result of cabinet painting .

It is looking nice .

I will put the door back in 7 days then can upload photos .

Thanks for your all the guidance.

I am actually confident to start new project :laugh:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mmd22

It's great to hear that the doors have come out satisfactory. We look forward to seeing photos of your revamped doors in your kitchen.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects