Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint vinyl wrap kitchen cabinet?

mmd22
Building a Reputation

How to paint vinyl wrap kitchen cabinet?

paint.png

Hello All 

My kitchen is  not very old, cabinet and structure is in good condition  but cabinets door and drawer  is with vinyl wrap on to of MDF and Vinyl Wrap is coming off few places and sometimes it is hard to open the drawers .

I think we need to remove all the wrap before painting.

do I need undercoat on MDF ?

Any idea how to remove vinyl wrap from MDF ?

I got some quote for 2 Pac Resurfacing but it is bit expensive . I saw some information here about Dulux paint but never use them. Is it paint good for MDF ? 

Can I please have some advice how to paint MDF and laminate ( as side panels are laminate)   ? what products and accessories  to use ?

Thank you everyone for your advice and information .

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Re: How to Paint vinyl wrap Kitchen Cabinet

Hello MitchellMc and Eric

Thank you for your all the advise for painting Vinyl wrap . I really appreciate your support . 

As promised I have going to upload some photos after I painted the MDF kitchen cabinet .

We are very happy with the result .We painted with Natural White .after Paintingafter PaintingIMG_4168.JPGIMG_4171.JPGIMG_4172.JPGIMG_4173.JPGIMG_4174.JPG

The reason we had to paint is our kitchen cabinet was with Vinyl Wrap and it was coming off so I had to put glue on.

Please see Photos 

after putting glue onafter putting glue onIMG_4096 (1).JPG

IMG_4099.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Absolutely stunning results @mmd22! You must be super proud of yourself after putting in all that effort. You went above and beyond to ensure these results, showing that 90% of a fantastic painting result comes from diligent preparation. Congrats to you!

I'm pleased that this project turned out so amazingly well, and no doubt you'll inspire everyone with aged MDF cabinetry to do the same.

Many thanks for sharing what you've achieved and excellent work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Mitchell. 

I am wondering if there is a way to pint OVER the horrid high gloss shiny wrap on my cupboards that will look good and last?

348923325_6195283643842587_1599135820653385448_n.jpeg 350356446_1889123751465755_1867264913741868423_n.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ev_smith 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your vinyl wrapped kitchen.

The Dulux Renovation Range comes with a primer. However, because you have a gloss finish on your vinyl surface, it must be completely removed so that the primer will have a good surface to anchor onto.    

I suggest using an Orbital Sander to thoroughly remove the high gloss surface of the vinyl cover. It's critical that the surface be totally prepared as any spot that gets missed will not provide an ideal surface for the primer.

From the photo you posted, it seems that the vinyl cover is still in good condition. However, the choice of removing the vinyl cover is open to you and you can paint the MDF boards just as you've seen in this discussion.

Here is a link to our best advice: Do you recommend the Dulux Renovation range for painting a kitchen?

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets

Here are some featured kitchen discussions:

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @lifestylebymari and @raymond265 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects