Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare Rubberwood benchtops?

RosieLynch
Finding My Feet

How to prepare Rubberwood benchtops?

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the middle of a very slow kitchen renovation. I am planning on using these rubberwood benchtops for both our stove and sink benches. I am slightly confused though on what exactly we should be putting on them to seal them. Initially I was planning on using this benchtop oil  however I have also seen a couple of videos that say to use a clear polyurethane.

I would prefer to use the oil as it is food safe, but I am worried that it wont be durable enough? I am not worried about needing to re-oil every year, as we have a couple other bits and pieces that we oil also.

Any insights would be very appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare Rubberwood benchtops?

Hello @RosieLynch

Thank you for sharing your question about how to prepare your Rubberwood Benchtop for your kitchen.

It sounds like your doing a kitchen benchtop replacement project. I recommend using Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish. It has fantastic features such as heat resistance, stain resistance, low odour and non-yellowing, and is food safe. This clear finish is specially made for benchtops.

I strongly recommend that if you make any cuts in your benchtop to seal it as soon as possible with this sealer. This is to prevent moisture contamination to the benchtop. I suggest applying the seal to the entire benchtop from top to bottom and all around the sides. A minimum of two coats will give you adequate protection. 

Please keep us updated, I'm sure our members would love to see your benchtop upgrade. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects