Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to raise replacement flooring 25mm to match rest of house?

em2
Just Starting Out

How to raise replacement flooring 25mm to match rest of house?

I remove concrete and tile flooring that was done over floorboards due to water damage. The floorboards have been repaired and I need to build up the flooring to 25mm to match the rest of the house. I have 5.5mm hybrid floorboard, 2.5mm vapour barrier/acoustic underlay. I am thinking the best option is yellow tongue boards ontop of the original old floorboards, and then using a dry seal (wedi) layer to "waterproof" the yellow tongue, then the vapour barrier/acoustic underlay, then the hybrid flooring.  Not sure if the wedi dry seal  an be used on yellow tongue or if there is another option. Am taking this extra precaution as I have had water damage to flooring and want to avoid this in future. Would appreciate any advise

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: flooring

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @em2. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hybrid vinyl flooring.

Yellow tongue is a commonly used substrate in bathrooms and wet areas. However, opinions vary on whether it's an appropriate substrate, though it is compliant. Have you considered using a cement-based sheet like the James Hardie Scyon Secura, given the previous water damage?

To waterproof successfully, I'd recommend a product like Xpresslay from Gripset. We can order this product into your local store for you. Alternatively, if you tape all your joints, you can use a liquid membrane. I'd suggest Gripset 38FC SBR Fast Cure Membrane. Once again, we can order this for you.

It's essential to ensure the flooring is glued and screwed adequately down to the joists. Nailing the sheets down is not adequate.

I'm not familiar with the Wedi dry seal product. The best place to check its suitability for bathroom waterproofing over particleboard would be with the manufacturer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
em2
Just Starting Out

I did look at the product you mentioned however the price difference for how much I need is around $1200. Can you tell.me how the xpresslay is.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @em2,

Would you mind clarifying your question, please? Are you after a price on the Xpresslay? If so, it's an off-range product, and we'd need to get you a price through your local store's Special Orders desk. If you contact them by phone or in person and supply the details of how much you'd need, they'll be able to contact the manufacturer and then provide you with a quote.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects