Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove cosmetic timber arch?

Madiy
Just Starting Out

How to remove cosmetic timber arch?

Hi BrainsTrust, 

Recently bought a house and it is in desperate need of a face lift. 
We’re wanting to remove this decorative wooden arch way to open up the kitchen/dining, as well as the part of the bench it’s sitting on.
Hoping for any tips/tricks/approaches on how to go about this without damaging (or minimally damaging) the plaster or architraves. 

thanks in advance! 

IMG_7367.jpeg

IMG_7499.jpeg

IMG_7498.jpeg

  

IMG_7497.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove cosmetic arch way?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Madiy. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing an archway.

The removal of the archway will inevitably cause damage, which will need to be repaired afterwards. By disassembling piece by piece, you'll minimise damage to surrounding structures. A prybar is your friend, and a sledgehammer should be used sparingly as it tends to cause additional damage.

Regardless of minimising damage, the ceiling and walls will need to have the plasterboard restored, as there is likely none underneath the arch's frame. There might be plasterboard underneath if the arch was constructed over it, but I would assume that to be collateral damage and that it will need to be replaced. You won't be able to simply remove the arch and have the job done.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to remove cosmetic timber arch?

Morning @Madiy 

You will have a nice large kitchen area for sure! 
The arch ways as @MitchellMc  says can be removed. The post in the middle maybe not so much. It depends if thats a load bearing post for the roofing above it. Id possiby get a builder to tell you if it is. I use to think just looking up in the roof space and "determining" if it wa sstructual was enough but since being here I have found that is not the case always. 

The good news is if it is a load bearing post then a header can be installed across the width to give the space that flow through effect. Back to having a chat to a builder about it. Best case the wall is not a load bearing wall and can come out plus fix the plaster in the ceiling, worst case a header can be used.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Dave-1,

"It depends if thats a load bearing post for the roofing above it."

I presumed it might not be, but always a good idea to check. 👍

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

hahahahah @MitchellMc  and @Madiy 

Oh Man... Thats an almighty strong "support leg" if thats the case.

Sorry I didnt even zoom in. lol Id have to say decorative :smile: Tho yeah a good idea to check :smile:

I am actually impressed that the kitchen has held up so well :smile:

Still laughing at my mistake :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects