Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair damaged chipboard drawers?

Gloellas
Growing in Experience

How to repair damaged chipboard drawers?

Example of one of the drawersExample of one of the drawersExample of a side panel when drawer is dismantledExample of a side panel when drawer is dismantledExample of digging out damaged chipboardExample of digging out damaged chipboardExample of refilling with sawdust and glue (not yet sanded)Example of refilling with sawdust and glue (not yet sanded)

Hello.  This is my first ever post.  We have purchased a unit and the kitchen needs a lot of work.  Before we rip parts out and replace, I want to have a crack at repairing.  My only expertise is from google haha.  As you can see, the kitchen drawers are in very bad shape.  They are chipboard, water damaged in places and the vinyl wrap is cracking everywhere.  As far as the chipboard itself, I have been having fun digging out the damaged parts and refilling with sawdust mixed with glue (Like a tooth filling haha).  The last picture is what a drawers side looks like when refilled.  I haven't sanded it yet as it is still drying.

My actual question is what to do with the vinyl wrap.  I'm wondering if I can remove it all, sand the bare chipboard smooth, prime, paint and waterproof it and leave the drawer bare like that without vinyl wrap? 

I am not keen on using adhesive wrap to recover them.

These are old drawers that do not have drawer runners, so I'm aware the cut out section for sliding will have to be very smooth.

If you think I can remove the vinyl, sand, prime, paint and waterproof, my big question is what products to use?  I currently have

Dulux PRECISION White Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer so can it use that for the primer?  As far as the paint and waterproofing, I have no idea....

I should mention that the front panel of the drawers where the handle is are in good condition, so they are not part of this question. 

Also, the drawers are not standard size, so we cannot just swap them with new drawers.  I assume they would have to be custom made.

Finally, apologies it isn't actually called vinyl wrap.  I'm still learning :smile:

Thanks heaps for your help.

Gloellas
Growing in Experience

Re: How to repair damaged chipboard drawers?

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I had found that product in your store and got very excited.  Unfortunately the sizes are wrong.

Thanks

Gayle 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Gloellas 

That is a shame, I was just as excited when I saw your drawers and thought that the replacement drawers would work. If that is the case, I suggest rebuilding the drawer shape using Turbo 500ml Builders Bog. You can reshape the ends so that it does not deteriorate further and will allow the drawer to run smoothly.

However, at this point I don't recommend spending more resources on the drawer if it requires more than bog as it will become impractical to repair the drawer. Rebuilding it in pine would be my next suggestion if it becomes too difficult to repair.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gloellas
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric.  Your advice on what product to use is greatly appreciated!  I will give that a go.  

Cheers Gayle 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects