Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace Dorf kitchen tap?

kn_ll
Growing in Experience

How to replace Dorf kitchen tap?

Hi I am planning  to replace my old Dorf  kitchen tap with a lever type mixer. (something like www.bunnings.com.au/estilo-wels-5-star-6l-min-chrome-tall-vege-spray-coil-sink-mixer_p0018950

I am planning fit a detergent dispenser to one of the holes and  plug  up to other.  However  I an issue

kitchen spout.jpgkitchen tap1.jpg.

How do you remove the lock nut on the existing spout -  see photo?  It appears that a basin spanner  jaws (www.bunnings.com.au/haron-280mm-adjustable-basin-wrench_p4901618) may not be able to fit in the tight space between the top of  pipe and the sink - estimated to be less than 4mm.

kn_ll
Growing in Experience

Re: How to replace Dorf kitchen tap?

Thanks @EricL 

Tried adding more  thicker tape to the connection, however it is still leaking.  Rather than liquid sealant would plumbers hemp work just as well?  The reason is how difficult is it to unscrew with sealant applied.   I bought the brass extension because its only 15mm short rather than braided hose to connect hot water.  The fit is not tight enough with tape to seal.  The leak is worse than the tap to wall connection.  Should I would more tape and up to how much?  Am I better off with braided?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace Dorf kitchen tap?

Hi @kn_ll 

It would be advantageous to you if you were to use braided hoses as they have angled rubber washers that provide an excellent seal. You can go to the next step in seals and use FIX-A-TAP Grey PTFE Uniseal High Density Thread Seal Tape. This is a thicker tape that should provide a better seal.

Please make sure to remove all the plumber's tape that was placed in before using the Grey tape.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects