Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace Mondella ceramic disc cartridge?

MarcParkes
Finding My Feet

How to replace Mondella ceramic disc cartridge?

Hello Members ,has  anyone had to replace a ceramic disc cartridge in a Mondella Resonance Vege Spry Sink Mixer ? 

I can not locate the grub screw to take the lever off .Unscrewed the lever arm but the grub screw eludes me . No instructions online tried watched every "how to video " on the subject ..HELP 

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 12.54.00 pm.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replace Mondella Ceramic disc cartridge

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MarcParkes. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about changing a ceramic cartridge.

I've only ever seen the grub screw in one of three locations on a mixer tap. Since you've removed the lever handle, I presume the grub screw is not revealed by looking down through the threaded section? If not, the 2nd location could be under a little grommet. I suspect you would have found that, though. What they are doing now is not including that grommet and hiding the grub screw under the hood which the handle screws into. I'd think the likely location is under the hood. With your water turned off, pull the tap hood back as if you were turning the water on full blast. Rotate the hood from side to side and see if you can locate the grub screw under it. You need the hood in the fully open position to see it.

If the screw is not hidden under the hood, I'll be happy to contact the manufacturer after the weekend.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello Mitchell..Thank you for the prompt reply .Could you please contact the manufacturer on my behalf .

Very big on self help via the web ,but this situation is not documented anywhere 

Thank You 

Marc

Thanks for letting us know @MarcParkes. I'm sure @MitchellMc will be happy to follow this up for you and get back to you as soon as possible.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace Mondella ceramic disc cartridge?

Hi @MarcParkes,

Many thanks for your patience. I've confirmed that there is indeed a little grommet/cap in the tap handle. This cap is located on the opposite side of the handle to the pin lever. You might need to rotate the handle to see the cap on the bottom. Remove the cap with your fingernail or a thin-bladed flathead screwdriver. Once the cap is removed, it will give you access to a 2mm grub screw on the underside of the tap body. You won't be able to see the grub screw as it is underneath.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MarcParkes 

The location of the access point for the grub screw is very well hidden. Underneath the handle, you'll find a silver cover cap very well moulded to the body of the tap handle. Directly beneath the handle on the other side is the access point. The cover has to be removed with either a sharp knife or a Stanley knife. Once the cover is off, place it in a safe spot to re-install later on. 

You should see the grub screw inside the hole. You just need a proper sized Allen key to remove the screw and the handle should slide off. The remaining steps are standard. Remove the silver cover shield by rotating it anti-clockwise. Use a shifter to remove the brass locking ring. The cartridge can then be pulled out for replacement.

I suggest bringing the old one to the store for comparison to make sure you're getting the correct one for height and width. The product you're looking for is called the Kinetic Mixer Tap Cartridge. I've placed some images below to give you an idea of where the cover cap is located.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

resonance 1.jpgresonance 2.jpgresonance 3.jpg

Hello Eric 

Thank you to yourself and Mitchell .I think I am back on track . My mixer is an older version  with no cap as such . The trick is having the lever in the right spot. 

image.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MarcParkes

It's good to hear that you've found the grub screw location. Just a friendly reminder that when the time comes to re-tighten the brass locking ring to be firm but not overly tight to avoid cracking the ceramic disc in the cartridge.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects