Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace bottom of kitchen drawer?

joejoe
Growing in Experience

How to replace bottom of kitchen drawer?

I received a quote for $60 to put a new bottom in. Bunnings on the other hand suggested filing it down, primer, then spray painting. I am not even slightly handy so was wondering if $60 is worth it? Or any other suggestions. Thank you. 

20220201_180757.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing kitchen drawer

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @joejoe. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing your draw bottom.

If it's something you really wanted to be fixed and you don't want to give it a go yourself, then $60 isn't unreasonable. How rough and damaged is the bottom? Have you considered placing some white self-adhesive film or white non-slip matting in there? Alternatively, you could take the internal measurements of the drawer and have one of our helpful team cut up a 900 x 600mm 3mm Melamine White MDF to that size. You could then simply slip it inside the drawer as it's only 3mm thick.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
joejoe
Growing in Experience

Thank you Mitchell, that helps alot. I wish I was told that option. It will need to be very close to original as it is a rental. I'm assuming then the Melamine would be best? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The melamine covered MDF I linked to above will provide you with a new flat surface @joejoe. Provided you measure correctly, I can't see it being noticed that you've inserted it. If the internal surface is flat and just discoloured, I see no reason why you couldn't just use contact to cover the staining.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects