Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace sink plugs?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to replace sink plugs?

My son bought a house recently, and he has found that the kitchen plugs don't fit the sink - they only act as strainers, so he cant fill the sink to wash anything.   I have similar kitchen plugs, but they don't fit my son's kitchen sink.   

sink.jpg

How can he find the right plug for his sink?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing sink plugs

Hi @ennoh,

To clarify, you've pictured a strainer that also acts as a plug. Either it's not the correct plug for the sink, or the sealing washer is perished and needs to be replaced, or you're not pushing them down far enough to seal. We're likely going to need to determine what the actual issue is. 

You might find it easiest to pick up a few different-sized sink strainers/plugs from your local Bunnings store and check to see which one fits. You'll then be able to return the ones that don't suit. Alternatively, you could try and change the washer in the current plug.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ennoh
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell.   The washer is fine  - its just not the correct plug.   I went to a well known plumbing shop recently and it was recommended that I get a fitting that is installed under the sink but I thought that was a bit of overkill.     Surely it has to be a case of the right fitting plug, so I will do as you say and buy a few and return the ones that dont  fit

I will let you know how I get on.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @ennoh 

I feel for you - I really do. We purchased a Masters sink before they collapsed. Wasn't too long after this the rubber insert failed and I went to Bunnings to get a replacement but the staff member told me that it isn't a standard plug. He suggested various major plumbing warehouses which we went to without success. We were always told that it was non-standard and not available in Australia. "Try online."

A Reece sales person even laughed and said "that's what you get for buying from Masters!"

In the end I made a pathetic looking replacement outta rubber - and now wash-up quicker.

20220627_081709.jpg

ennoh
Building a Reputation

oh wow!!!!!   why aren't sink plugs of uniform size?  My son is going to bring his sink plug to me this morning, and I will head to Bunnings and see what the plumber recommends.  It would be a great fix for it just to be the seal....

ennoh
Building a Reputation

the problem has been sorted.   I went to a plumbing shop recently and was told that its hard to find the right plug, as sizes aren't uniform and he suggested I buy a gadget that fits in under the sink and replaces the housing for the plug.   I didn't like the sounds of that.    Last week I took my son's sink plug to bunnings and bought another plug and the gadget that goes under the sink.    The plug worked perfectly so I returned the other part and bought a second plug.  So much for the competitors advice...    Thanks Bunnings!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear you got it sorted @ennoh!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects