Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace warped kitchen benchtop in faux stone

Simone1976
Growing in Experience

How to replace warped kitchen benchtop in faux stone

Hello all, first timer here to the community and my first post. I am seeking advice on the steps to firstly remove and then replace this warped faux stone benchtop. I think it was caused due to hot items on top causing it to rise up. I have tried regluing and clamping down to no availIMG_6399.jpgIMG_6400.jpgIMG_6401.jpg. So it looks like it has to go and replace with a new one. I am looking at the Kaboodle range but am such a novice so any advice much appreciated, thanks. IMG_6398.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace warped kitchen benchtop in faux stone

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Simone1976. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing your benchtop.

You'd need to take some slightly better images that depict the situation and provide more details on how this warping occurred for our members to assist with repairing the current benchtop. For a warp like that, you'd likely need to install some brackets to pull it back into position.

If you are looking for a replacement, we have a fantastic range of benchtops to select from in many different styles and finishes. What type of benchtop were you thinking of replacing it with? You'll find this guide helpful when selecting. You should also find this step-by-step guide useful: How to install a laminate benchtop.

Our members will be keen to hear more about your project and provide assistance along the way. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Appreciate your prompt response Mitchell, thanks so much. I will edit my post and add more info and pictures. 

Hi @Simone1976,

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer/supplier and questioning whether this is something you could claim under warranty? When you say it's a faux stone, is it engineered quartz-based stone? That amount of distortion seems quite unusual. Did the area experience high heat for a prolonged period? Perhaps a pot was placed down there?

If you could clear out the glue (liquid nails?), you might like to try epoxy or perhaps Sika 290ml Sikaflex®-118 Extreme Grab Construction AdhesiveSika 300ml Black Sikaflex-252 Polyurethane Adhesive could hold, but it might be a bit flexible to keep the bench in place. I think that you'd potentially need to drill and epoxy plugs or threaded studs in the underside of the bench and use them to pull it down with mechanical force.

Let me mention @TedBear and @Noyade to see if they had any thoughts.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

No I havent contacted the manufacturer as the house is 11 years old and built through a builder and no longer under warranty I don't think. That's all very helpful advice, yet seems like a lot of work for little old me! Ha, but you never know I could surprise myself and you all! I'll keep you posted :smile:

Hi @Simone1976 , that amount of warping, plus the profile of the top in your photos says that this is a stone-look melamine. Any type of actual stone would break rather than warp.  This means that to remove it, you need to open doors and remove drawers to expose the screws which will be holding it in place. The glue which can be seen, is best cut through with a multitool and blade, but you might also be able to get a handsaw in there instead.  That will help you find where any missed screws are too. 

That amount of warping could be caused by water getting under the laminate and distorting the particle board carrier or heat, as you said.

There's no way to undistort it unfortunately. 

Having made a few kitchens for myself from start to end, I found that with my current one, it was a better deal to get a cabinet maker to make, remove and replace it. i.e. I know from experience that it's more fiddly than people imagine and I'd only do it myself in a house that wasn't being lived in. A cabinet maker will give you the least disturbance time, since they are able to make the top in way that allows them to fit it easily.

A bought one will be ok for d-i-y if:

1)  it is one straight line (rather than a corner) and

2) there is overhang at one end... this means you'll have a bit leeway for measurement errors. If the top runs between two walls, you will need to get your length exactly right.

If you happen to live in Perth, I can recommend an excellent guy for the job, having researched them already.

(I have no personal connection, I just know his work quality and value for money.)

Just researched builder website and it says it’s a quantum quartz stone bench top. 

That's what I was thinking @Simone1976; it's an engineered stone benchtop manufactured by combining quartz, resins and bonding agents. I presume excessive heat has been the catalyst to the warping, but I'm not finding much information about warped engineered stone benchtops. Though, since it's not a laminate, you wouldn't think it to be particularly susceptible to water ingress and damage.

Is the material flexible enough to clamp and pull completely back down into position? I wonder if an application of heat (being careful not to burn it) would help it return to the original flat shape. Heating the benchtop up and then letting it cool and set into position might also reduce the tension which has caused the warped section.

Any repair you attempt could result in the benchtop cracking, and I can't imagine you'll be able to remove the warp completely. That should be kept in mind when deciding to repair or replace.

Mitchell

"I wonder if an application of heat (being careful not to burn it) would help it return to the original flat shape."

That's what I was thinking. If we accept that it needs replacing - would it hurt to try an experiment?

My thought is two 15 or 20 kg barbell weights placed in an oven for say 30 minutes at 190 deg.C

Lay a thick towel over the lifted area.

Once 'cooked' place the two weights on the towel (carefully with oven mittens).

Watch closely.

If we're successful - we really need to bracket the bench-top into place.

Looking at the photos above, is it now standard practice to glue bench-tops down rather bracket them?

Thanks Mitchell, yes I think the effort required after all of the advice given to not know if it will be a complete fix may not be worth it, hence I will look into the Kaboodle range to replace. Thanks again for your help. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects