Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal Teak laminated panel?

Nat0
Just Starting Out

How to seal Teak laminated panel?

I wish to buy a Bunnings teak laminated panel for a kitchen bench make over. The product says on the packaging that it is sealed. But no one at Bunnings can tell me how it was sealed (what process was used), and the service desk or special orders still haven't heard back from the distributor.

Does anyone have any idea how it might be sealed, how I might find out, or my next step if I can't work it out?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal Teak laminated panel?

Hello @Nat0

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about the teak laminated panel.

Are you using the SpecRite 2400 x 900 x 33mm Finger Joined Teak Panel? This panel has a surface sealer that can be sanded off. Please note that when the top is sanded and the sealer removed, I recommend that it be cleaned off with a rag and painted as soon as possible. The unsealed Teak Laminated Panel is sensitive to temperature and moisture effects. If the panel is left bare and unpainted for too long it will be susceptible to cupping, bowing, and end splitting.

The Teak Laminated Panel is a fantastic alternative to standard benchtop replacement. However, it must be sealed from both sides and on both ends to preserve its durability. Any drilled holes or cutouts must be sealed as well. It's great that you are planning to remodel your kitchen benchtop. Any updates or photos you can provide will be greatly appreciated by our members.

Here is a link to the Specrite Panel Care: Panel Care

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

Let me tag our experienced members @woodalwaysworks and @JoeAzza for their recommendations. 

We look forward to seeing your new benchtops installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
cmac_1987
Getting Established

Hi All,

If I'm using this same Teak Panel for a desk top and not making any cuts at all, does it still need to be sanded and sealed? Or will the manufacturer's sealant do? If it does need to be coated again, can you recommend a durable sealant product for this teak panel for every day use as a study desk?

Thanks

Chris

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cmac_1987. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about the Teak Panel.

If you're using the SpecRite 2400 x 900 x 33mm Finger Joined Teak Panel, I suggest using the Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish. It's water-based and will not turn yellow like oil-based sealers. It's specifically formulated for benchtop use and will provide adequate protection for everyday use. The sealer currently on the benchtop is not meant to last a long time.

I recommend sanding the benchtop to remove any stray splinters that may be present before painting the benchtop. Please remember to seal the entire benchtop top to bottom and all around the sides to prevent moisture damage. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

If you need further advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects