Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for renovation of my kitchen please

Muzoconnor
Getting Established

Ideas for renovation of my kitchen please

My kitchen needs a complete makeover, the chimney has come away from the house and I want to put a window in that area with a sink underneath.  Three doors come off this kitchen and I would like to have an island bar but happy for any suggestions.  I have tried to use the template online in bunnings without much success.  Stilll want the wall oven and will keep the hotplate which are only 2 years old.

4.2 metres x 5.2 meters. size.  My husband Myrtle to do the bench tops.  The kitchen has a skylight as it was dark in the centre of the house.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.From lounge door down left sideFrom lounge door down left sideLounge door to right sideLounge door to right sidePassage door leftPassage door leftWindow across kitchen rightWindow across kitchen rightWindow across leftWindow across left

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas for renovation of my kitchen please

Hi @Muzoconnor,

Welcome to Workshop. Our community members love a good kitchen renovation project so I'm sure you'll get plenty of helpful suggestions and inspiration. 

One thing that might help give members a better idea of what you're working with is a floorplan of the entire house, or at least the kitchen. Just a quick sketch would be fine.

It would also be useful to know if you are planning a kitchen makeover or a full-blown renovation? And have you got a rough idea of your budget? 

I will also tag experienced members like @redracer01@ProjectPete  and @2Belindas who might like to kick off the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Muzoconnor
Getting Established

Thank you Jason for getting back to me and it will be great to get everyones suggestions.  The renovation of the kitchen will be full blown with everything including plaster to remove the chimney and gut the kitchen we have a quote of $19,000 and I hope to complete the reno for around $12,000.

I have attached a floor plan of the kitchen and look forward to the suggestions.  The ceiling is 3 metres high!  The front part of the house is farm style with decorative cornice and ceiling roses which  the kitchen needs to fit in with.Floor Plan of Kitchen.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have kitchen sized envy.
I would keep the table and chairs and the cabinet that also looks to match and work from there.

Hi @Muzoconnor - it’s pain when there are too many doors :unhappy: There are a couple of really helpful people for producing designs on here, they may want more information. I don’t know where you’re located but, your quote for $19,000 seems reasonable for the work to be done. I see your partner is going to tackle the bench top, which can be a substantial cost - is that where your $12,000 figure comes from?  You can probably recycle the cupboard carcasses, and refinish with new doors, and add extra carcasses where required.

I look forward to seeing the progress, cheers Deb :smile:

Muzoconnor
Getting Established

Thanks Deb, the $12000 is for the rest of the kitchen.  Your idea of using the cacases is what I was hoping to do, under the sink is not good due to leakage, but the rest is pretty good.  I am not sure about how the carcases are put together but the saving would be really handy.  It is the 3 door openings which are a problem, was thinking of taking out the wall leading into the lounge but not sure how that will work!  That is still a discussion we are having, it is an old home and not sure what are weight bearing walls etc. Hubby thinks it is to tricky!! Cheers Marie

Hi Marie  (@Muzoconnor) , I”m guessing that you have quite an older home? I’m basing that on the ceiling height, and the awkward 3 doors in the kitchen. I’m wondering if some walls have already been taken out to create that, quite large, current kitchen/dining space? 

Usually modern kitchen carcasses are screwed together side by side, and each one is fixed to the wall at the back.The countertops are fixed to the top of the carcasses.

I do feel that paying for some advice re: building design/engineering would be worthwhile - just to establish what is load bearing and what has been removed. There’s a fair bit of scope to save money in a kitchen re-model (carcasses recycling/building, countertop, tiling etc) and you are already happy with the current appliances. Much better to be sure of walls and engineering strength, cheers Deb

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Here are a few ideas.

mozz.jpgmozz1.jpgmozz2.jpgmozz3.jpgmozz4.jpgmozz6.jpgmozz8.jpgmozz7.jpgmozz6.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi Redracer01, Thanks for the design idea certainly gives me food for thought. I was thinking of a Pantry to fill in the corner space, still looking at maybe pulling out the wall between the kitchen and lounge! Like the idea of draws too.

Fantastic work as always @redracer01. What a beautiful and functional kitchen that would be. 

We love having you as a member of Workshop. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects