Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kaboodle hardware quality?

Garfield28
Growing in Experience

Kaboodle hardware quality?

Hi all,

Looking at tackling a kitchen reno using Kaboodle flat packs, and in the past I have read that the hardware like hinges soft close drawers etc are not real crash hot, and I was wondering if anyone can shed some feedback on whether or not that is the case and if so is it possible to upgrade the hardware to a better quality? I have also read that kaboodle cabinets are not designed to take any off the shelf hinge can anyone please confirm that also please? 

Just any other feedback on the quality of the cabinets themselves etc would be really appreciated also. 

Thanks 

Geoff 

Garfield28
Growing in Experience

Re: Kaboodle hardware quality?

Thanks Eric. 

Not really important just wondering so will be good to see where they are manufactured, not that it will stop me buying if they come from China as I gather they do.

Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Garfield28

I've just spoken to the Kaboodle technical department, you're correct the doors are manufactured in China. The doors come unpainted both at the front and the back. There are no primers applied to the raw MDF board.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Garfield28
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

Thanks for chasing that up, but I thought one side was coated in the white stipple or whatever you'd call it? Otherwise I would have to get both sides painted if I went down that path. 

Cheers

Geoff 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Garfield28

It turns out that not only do the vacuum-laminated doors have their backs covered, but the raw MDF doors do as well. Since the MDF is coated at the back only the front part of the door needs to be painted. You won't have to use as much paint since the back is already sealed. 

I would like to thank @RenoRach1 for updating us on that fact about the raw doors. 

Eric

Hi @Garfield28 

I'm currently building my laundry/utility room with the Kaboodle range. I can confirm that the Alpine profile doors (paint your own doors) have the white melamine on the back and the raw MDF on the front, so you'll only need to paint the front of your doors; the same with the kickboards and the drawer fronts.

On the weekend, I built two 600mm two-drawer units, using the standard drawer runners and I was very impressed with them - very smooth and sturdy. I'm not at the hinges stage just yet, but I've used Blum hinges before on another kitchen and I wasn't overly impressed with them - they've definitely dropped in quality over the years. So, I'm using the Kaboodle standard hinges and drawer runners.  Although, a kitchen does get a lot more use than a laundry, I'll acknowledge.

Just a tip: make sure that you watch all of the videos on the Kaboodle YouTube channel, as they are really helpful and complement the printed instructions.

All the best with it!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RenoRach1

Thank you so much for updating us on that. The raw Alpine doors do come with a white melamine backing. I'll have to update my recommendation about the raw doors. It's great to hear that you're updating your laundry/utility room. I'm sure our members would be keen to see your project once it's complete. 

Again, thank you for sharing that information.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

This hinge is from a corner section of a Masters kitchen - 2016.

It snapped not long after Masters snapped.

I went to the kitchen cabinet maker in town that had the contract to install Masters kitchens and the guy that served me laughed, saying all of Masters kitchens and hardware "were rubbish". He also told me this hinge is incompatible with any other brand. Anyway he had one left, I bought it and left somewhat disillusioned.

To strengthen it I drilled and tapped a thread for another small bolt - but I can't remember which one.

My question is - would something like this be on a shelf at Bunnings - should it snap again?

20221027_091805.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

Yes, there are similar hinges at the store such as the Kaboodle Corner Cabinet Hinge and the Hafele Salice 70° Bifold Corner Hinge Clip On - 1 Pair. However, the catch is you'll need to drill new installation holes for these hinges as the old mounting system from Masters uses a plastic compression system. It's a great excuse to purchase the Hafele Hinge Mounting Kit to make new mounting points on the door. You can then use Hafele Hinge Hole Cover - 2 Pack to cover the old holes on the door.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Cheers! @EricL 

Garfield28
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric, and thanks Renorach. 

I thought it was strange it didn't because the other doors I have looked at in Bunnings displays the doors have all had the white stipple, and I fugured if you chose the paint your own colour one it would make sense that they did too. 

Thank you both. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects