Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen fridge area modification

Pcan
Growing in Experience

Kitchen fridge area modification

The fridge area in the house we moved into was ofless height. Our fridge does not fit in. I removed the cabinet on top and now want to put in some shelving on the left of the fridge as well as on top. Will be great if it is of the same design but happy if of atleast the same colour scheme.

Option 1

Have considered Bedford One Door Pantry I/N 2660036

Question:

1. Can this be painted to the 'maple' colour of existing Kitchen cabinetry?

2. I need to put some open shelving or cabinet on top accross, of size 450mm Height, 409mm depth and 1340mm accross. There will be adequate space behind for heat to dissipate.

Alternatively,

Option 2

Kaboodle cut to measure. 

I have included the dimensions in the images.

What is the best wayof doing this. Can do assembly, and basic home handyman. Don't have tools to cut etc.Measurements of the areaMeasurements of the areaPlanPlanFridge Placed.JPGFridge Space.JPG

Attached are pictures of the said area.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen fridge area modification

Hello @Pcan

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about kitchen fridge area modification.

Congratulations on moving into your new house. This is a fantastic project to be doing straight away. I see that you've made an excellent plan on how you want the shelves laid out. Trying to match the exact colour of the mahogany finish on your cabinet is going to be the challenge. I suggest using  Clear Pine FJ Laminated Panel 1800 x 600 x 18mm to create your divider and shelves. Having a wine rack is a great way of holding wine bottles. However, the heat from the ceiling and your fridge will harm your wine.

If you still wish to have a wine holder, I suggest building it at the bottom where the air is cool and away from the ambient heat of the ceiling and fridge. Have a look at this discussion - How should I fix the space above the fridge? In the discussion, you will see that I suggested an option of just leaving the panels as is and paint them with a clear varnish to create contrast. I also recommended using the Practa 450mm Chrome Pullout Basket for maximum use of the space. If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their recommendations.

This sounds like an exciting project, please keep us updated.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @Pcan

Great advice from .@EricL

I agree about to wine rack, it would get too hot from the fridge. Have you looked at repositioning the end panel to the width of the fridge, then modify the existing cabinets to fit above the fridge, as for  the space left after repositioning the panel in between the panel and doorway, you can build a shelf or wine rack in a contrasting color eg; black or white, or try to match the existing color of the cabinets.

Pcan
Growing in Experience

Thank you @EricL  @JoeAzza  @TedBear 

I may have to go into something that requires just assembly for theleft side of the fridge and fix two shelves on top.  Could you advise me on the following?

Option 1

Have considered Bedford One Door Pantry I/N 2660036

Question:

1. Can this be painted to the 'maple' colour of existing Kitchen cabinetry?

2. I need to put some open shelving or cabinet on top accross, of size 450mm Height, 409mm depth and 1340mm accross. There will be adequate space behind for heat to dissipate.

Alternatively,

Option 2

Kaboodle cut to measure. 

Question: Can Bunnings get a cut to measure pantry cabinet  1900x450x450. This I will place on the Left side of the fridge. 

Also can these be painted/stained?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Pcan

The Bedford 450mm White 1 Door Pantry will fit in the space provided, but you will not be able to paint it in the maple finish of your existing kitchen because it is finished in melamine. In order to put some open shelving at the top, you will have to build it from scratch as there are no pre-made cabinets in the size you've indicated. Unfortunately, the Kaboodle cut to measure offer is only applicable for cabinet width, not height.

The default height of the Kaboodle 450mm Kitchen Pantry is 2055mm without the legs. This panty is covered in melamine sheeting and can't be painted in a maple finish either. I suggest engaging the services of a handyman to build you a custom pantry along with the custom top cabinet. This will allow you to stain the timber in maple to match your current kitchen colour. Please keep us updated.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects