Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen makeover

Maso
Finding My Feet

Kitchen makeover

I need to redo my U shaped kitchen, but hate my 3 corner cupboards as they are really inaccessible, and I dont have room for a pantry. Any ideas for space savers for corners? I could do away with 2 corners if I make an island bench and lose cupboard space, but will still have one wall corner. Are the pull out corner cupboards a good idea?

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Kitchen makeover

The answer is yes! Pull out corner baskets are ok. Please take a photo of your kitchen post them along with the measurements and we will see if we can recommend a lay out for you.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Ditto--need dimensions & layout to be able provide useful feedback. Include doors, Windows etc & indicate function of adjoining spaces e.g. opens to lounge, hallway etc
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Maso,

Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased to have you join the community and trust that you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for this project and many others to come from our amazing members. 

As suggested, please come back to us with some photos and dimensions so our helpful community can assist. We look forward to helping you to transform your kitchen space.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

20200104_154335.jpg

20200104_154318.jpg

  Kitchen dimensions are 3090mm on long sides, 2770mm along back wall. There is a 1600mm window, 590mm in from the back wall on the right, plus a 900mm space for the fridge. Space between dishwasher/sink and opposite bench top is 1370mm, and 940mm opening to the dining area between fridge and bench top. There is also currently a 190mm breakfast bar overhang.
Was thinking of having an island bench, but don't want to lose cupboard space and bench top space. Currently, have no pantry, but thought about a thin one on the end of the fridge, where there is a 95mm wall, (enclosing the fridge which maybe could be removed and made into a thin pantry) plus 215mm to screen door opening.
Advice would be appreciated! Cheers.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for the photos and extra info @Maso.

Let me tag @pete_brig and @redracer01 so they are alerted to your response to their requests.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maso
Finding My Feet

Hi Jason,

yes, pls tag them. 

Thanks,

Sonja

@Maso 

Thanks for the extra info. I should've asked the essential question--what is yr budget? And as a follow-up, how much can you do yourself (to make the $'s go further)?

I assume from yr comment about the island bench that you were thinking of opening up the breakfast bar o/wise there wouldn't be enough space for an island.

Some ideas to consider:

* use a corner walk-in pantry (pantry is essential/convenient)

* replace shelves with cupboards for better storage & to remove visual clutter

* get cupboard exteriors refinished (2-pack) with a lighter colour--can be done in-house or doors removed & done externally

* benchtop can be similarly treated for a colour change or use a DIY product (Rustoleum from Bunnings)

* use a floor-to-ceiling combo cupboard for oven, m/wave, with drawers below & cupboard above to get oven to a better height

So, a simple (?) solution would be to:

* redo the wall with the shelves:

- install walk-in pantry type cupboard on right hand end of wall with shelves

- install floor-to-ceiling cupboards, incorporating the oven, m/wave, & cooktop, with drawers to chest height & shelves above (or all drawers & get a 2-step stool)

* refinish the exterior of the other cupboards, new handles, & optionally replace shelving with drawers

Maybe check out the Kaboodle site for ideas and/or have a play with the Kaboodle planner.

Cheers

P.S. there are other flat pack options & planning tools out there

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Here are some ideas.

---maso1.jpgmaso2.jpgmaso3.jpgmaso4.jpgmaso5.jpgmaso6.jpgmaso7.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Here's an alternative within the 3090mm x 2770mm space--Redracer's design will fit too if the size of the island is reduced. The software I used is clunkier than Redracer's--it didn't allow me to have 2 open sides so I had to fudge if with "openings" (hence the "door frames"). I couldn't "build" a proper island so have used back-to-back cabinets but without overhang :unhappy:  Island dimension is 1800x1000--that allows approx 690 walk space to the pantry but could be bigger. Removing the wall next to the fridge & replacing it with a wall panel would add 90mm+ (depending on how close it's extended to the screen door) less 16mm for the panel. And software doesn't render the colour very well--cupboard fronts were meant to be gloss white (with built-in pull handles for drawers) & concrete-look laminate for benchtop. Cooktop area is a bit squeezy so the pantry could be reduced from 600 to 400mm to give more space.

Kitchen 1.png

Kitchen 2.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects