Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen makeover

MaggieMaggie
Finding My Feet

Kitchen makeover

Hi everyone, 

I am thinking to do a makeover this 50s kitchen, and I am not a handy and into DIY in the house. 

Budget is tight too.

Firstly, the hanging cabinet is annoying, needs to go.

Vinyl flooring will be replaced at a later stage.

I need a small kitchen, floating shelves, the standalone oven will be gone, replaced by a gas cooktop with a

cabinet built-in. Need new sink, thinking of putting in an Insinkerator, etc. Saw a member here remodelled her kitchen for $450, and I like the simple basic kitchen and functional, nothing fancy but just need some updating.

Stuff that belongs to previous tenants will be out by next Monday.

Any recommendation? I am based in Christchurch. Move into the property first week Jan 2021.

Have a Merry Christmas, everyone & stay safe! 

kitchen1.jpgkitchen2.jpgkitchen3.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen Makeover

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MaggieMaggie. Is terrific to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

I've put together a render of an option to get you started. You might like to have a look at our budget-friendly Practa and Flatpax range of cabinetry if you would like to keep costs to a minimum. We also have a range of laminated timber panels which can be used as benchtops. Check out @ProjectPete's 80s kitchen reno on a budget to see an outstanding example of their use.

For some additional inspiration, you might also like to view our Top 10 most popular kitchen projects.

If you could provide some dimensions of the room, our helpful members like @redracer01 might have some other ideas on layouts for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Kitchen Makeover

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so much for your reply. 

I will go back to the property to get the measurement for the kitchen layout & the gas cooktop (without the oven) in the next few days. It looks like my small kitchen can only fit this plan but will get the measurement to determine the units required soon for you. I like this kitchen design plan, and the benchtop could be a bar for dining, etc.

I can't find the prices for the kaboodle products, and also kitchen installation quote form is Australia version? I tried to fill in my address, and it did not show up the suburb.

Really appreciate the information you have supplied to me.

Regards,

Maggie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen makeover

Hi Maggie (@MaggieMaggie),

I apologise as I missed that you were in Christchurch. I have given you the Australian links, which weren't helpful and misinformed you that a kitchen installation service was available in New Zealand.

You'll find the budget-friendly Practa cabinetry a great place to start and the Kaboodle cabinetry of a more premium variety. Below I have included the product list and prices for what I have used in this kitchen from Kaboodle cabinetry. The layout I have planned is really just a starting point and we can have a look at what can be used from the Practa range to suit your needs.

I look forward to you sharing the dimension of the room.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Kitchen makeover

Hi @MaggieMaggie 

I see @MitchellMc has given you some ideas 👍. To provide usuable advice, the first thing is to know what you're budget is--compare Mitchell's basic plan for $3700 against the $450 you mentioned in your initial post. Yes, $450 for a makover is feasible but it'll be superficial (e.g. paint the walls, benchtop, cupboard doors, new cupbord handles) & all DIY. If you want to do a reno, here's some thoughts from looking at your wishlist: 

• Firstly, the hanging cabinet is annoying, needs to go. The ceiling will  need to be repaired/painted where it was removed
  • Vinyl flooring will be replaced at a later stage.
  • I need a small kitchen, floating shelves, True floating shelves (no exposed brackets) would need to be rated for the weight of the things you plan to store on them e.g. glass cannisters look nice but weigh more then plastic. While they look nice they can be a great place for dust to collect. Maybe consider a combination of cupboards for essentials & shelves for display items.
  • the standalone oven will be gone, replaced by a gas cooktop with a cabinet built-in. Current cooktop/oven is electric. Have you allowed $ for installing the gas? Will it have the oven underneath or are you going to locate the oven elsewhere/not have an oven?
  • Need new sink, thinking of putting in an Insinkerator, etc. An educated guess is that a very basic sink & tapware would be at least $200-250. Cost of the insinkerator plus electrician & plumber $ to install. Plumber $ to install sink/taps if you aren't installing them yourself.

As well as budget, as Mitchell indicated advice is based on the room dimensions so those are needed too, plus an indication of adjoining rooms (for flow etc) e.g. what's the area behind the hanging cabinet--dining room/living room/...? I'd suggest using the wall opposite the sink etc for cupboards/fridge for a galley style kitchen.

As an example, check out this post--1950s kitchen reno  where someone had a similar hanging cabinet

Cheers, Peter

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects