Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen makeover

tom_builds
Making a Splash

Kitchen makeover

image.jpgI recently completed a renovation of my in-laws' rental unit. It's a third floor one-bedder and the whole place was starting to look tired, dated and a bit grubby. In particular, the kitchen had very little bench space and a horrible old freestanding gas oven/stove combination. 

Screenshot_20210607-134741_Realestate.jpg

To begin the reno the old lino and carpet was ripped out and I installed a water resistant laminate flooring to the kitchen, living and bedroom areas. This was my second-time installing floating laminate floorboards and I love how easy and quickly they come together.

20210415_174129.jpg

Once the painting and floors were complete, it was time to update the cabinetry. We went for a kaboodle kitchen set up ordered through our local Bunnings. I found that the kaboodle planner tool was pretty easy to use and it allowed us to print a list of all the pieces we needed to order. The cabinets went together reasonably easily, I did have to cut two cabinets down to size with a circular saw as the space I had to work with was slightly smaller than off-the-shelf dimensions would work (I have since realised that kaboodle will make cut to measure cabinets, which I will be trying next time)

20210424_161723.jpg

Once the cabinets were in I had an electrician and plumber install the oven, stove top and water connections. The final tradie job was to have a tiler retile the splashback with subway-style mosaic tiles and black grout. To match the benchtop I also used a small slotted gum panel to reframe the window sill.

image.jpg

5d52d1fc-3747-425e-8d4e-ed42c88943e5.jpg

(the fridge has been relocated to opposite the end of the island bench) 

As this project was done around my full time work it took 6 weeks of weekends and after work time to complete the whole unit, but it was a really rewarding experience. 

If anyone has any questions about the specific materials I used or more detail about how I went about it I'd be happy to answer them 😃

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen makeover

Hi @Fredthecat,

Let me mention @tom_builds, so they are alerted to your question.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Fredthecat ,

I don't know that the area feels much smaller,  but when I did my own home we opted for a lighter coloured flooring (HanWood Elegance Chevron) for the same reason that we felt it would make it look bigger and I think that it definitely did have an impact 

As I was doing this for family, the design choices were mostly their own, but I think the colour worked well to match the benchtops, and keeping everything else white has helped to brighten it up.

I just had a look at the pattern you are considering and I think it looks great 👌

Best of luck

Yolzy
Finding My Feet

Looks good, though why would you get a single sink again? That’s the first thing I’m changing and my kitchen looks like yours! I bought the wood from Bunnings and oiled it with Tung oil, safe for food and water proof. Any scratches? Easy fix, just sand it down and re oil! Where did you put the fridge?

Hi @Yolzy ,

Thanks for your feedback.

Most of the design choices were made by the owners of the unit (my in-laws) and the unit is an investment so some of the choices may have been driven by budget, including the use of  a lower cost sink. 

The fridge has been relocated to the wall opposite the end of the island bench.

All the best with your own kitchen makeover.

Thank you 

Hi, love the kitchen makeover. Can you tell me how much it cost for the tiler? I have about that much space to tile and trying to work out whether I give it a go or just get someone in to do it.

Hi @Nighty ,

I actually had the tiler completely retile the bathroom of this unit at the same time,  so can't give a definite price for just the splashback but the whole job cost $3000 plus the cost of the tiles as I had purchased them myself. I estimate the kitchen would have been about 25% of the work so maybe $750 - $800. The splashback area needed a sand cement render before being tiled which added time and cost onto the job. 

If it was my unit and I had no time constraints I would have liked to have given it a go myself as tiling is a job I have not attempted yet.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the question.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Nighty. Great to see you receive such a prompt and helpful reply from the wonderful @tom_builds.

Please let us know if you need a hand with your tiling project. Tiling is a very achievable project even for D.I.Y. beginners, and we are certainly here to help.

You might get some confidence from these resources:

Hope that helps get you started,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much. Yes that was a very quick response. Cheers

NikkiMaree
Building a Reputation

Hey. 
I recently tacked the job of re tiling my splashback too. 
the trickiest part was definitely cutting the tiles but the rest was realitively easy  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects