Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen makeover

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen makeover

Hello @Nighty,

There is no greater feeling than realizing that you can do this tiling project. Saving money is a plus but it also becomes a great learning experience for you and those around you. I recommend planning and organize your steps, do practice runs on your benchtop to give you a feel for the task. Arm yourself with information and observe those who have done it before. Sometimes the best way to learn is to get your feet wet. Not only will you gain a skill, but it will also give you the confidence for that next remodeling project.    

Here is a link to one of our most inspirational makeovers Laundry makeover - first-time reno

If you need any information about your tiling project please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jaga
Established Contributor

I think it looks great.

I'm interested to know if you kept track of total costs? And if you did a comparison of what it may have cost if you didn't DIY?

jaga

tom_builds
Experienced Contributor

Hi @jaga,

Thanks for your feedback 😃

I did keep track of the costs of this reno, however as I was renovating the whole unit I can only estimate the proportion of plumbing, tiling and electrician costs involved in the kitchen. The complete unit was renovated for a little over $16,000 (plus my time spent on the project ~75 hrs). The materials and appliances for the kitchen cost just shy of $6,000 and I estimate about $3,000 of the trades cost would have been allocated to the kitchen totalling around $9,000. 

I haven't considered trying to figure out how much it would have cost if I had paid a builder to complete the works rather than DIYing as much as possible but I would be interested in doing some research about that.

Hope this helps.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects