Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen refresh using White Knight Renew

NikkiMaree
Building a Reputation

Kitchen refresh using White Knight Renew

F1C08777-9712-41BC-8794-6E48E7D499EB.jpeg

I absolutely hated the timber look laminate and green tiled splash back in our house. 
so using a few cans of the white knight renew, the hardwood utility panels and white subway tiles I now have a bright, fresh new kitchen. 

E033D9F1-FF42-40A2-9DBD-D485C93D9586.jpeg

FE6F6450-71EE-4B28-9DA6-45284467E577.jpeg

Re: Kitchen refresh using White Knight Renew

@dinaandjake 

Thank you. 
they are the Hardwood laminated panels 2400x900, my husband cut the narrow one down and cut the holes for sink and stove etc and I’ve done 3 coats of cabots benchtop clear in satin finish. 

Fredthecat
Getting Established

Oh my gosh 

looks fantastic .

thanks for sharing. Enjoy 

Yolzy
Finding My Feet

Looks awesome! Love it!

@NikkiMaree 

Hi Nikki

Would you be able to indicate where you purchased the benchtops from and what type of timber they are.

Many thanks in advance.

Hey @wandawoman 

benchtops were purchased from bunnings (I/N 0027024) they are vic ash timber. 

Thanks so much!!

LouiseS
Getting Established

Hi, I would love to paint my kitchen cupboards but they aren't laminate. They are wooden but it looks like they aren't solid wood, more like a stained wood veneer. Would the paint be appropriate for this kind of surface? Image attached.

kitchen.jpg

Thanks in advance, Louise

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @LouiseS

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's awesome to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your kitchen cupboards.

I suggest doing the sandpaper test on the front corner of a panel. If it's a timber veneer you should still get sawdust from sanding and the timber should show its true colour. However, if you get plastic dust, odds are it's a melamine veneer made to look like timber.  

If it's a timber veneer, the rules for painting a timber surface still apply. Sanding, cleaning and priming are the standard steps before painting with the topcoat. Have you chosen a colour to paint your kitchen cupboards? Are the veneers still in good condition? No peeling, cracking, or tearing has occurred on the surface of the timber panel? If it's still in good condition, ordinary timber paint will work nicely on your kitchen cupboards.

Both options are open to you as far as painting is concerned. This is on the condition that it is a timber veneer. You can either use a stain and varnish or ordinary indoor paint to give it a modern look. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your kitchen? This will give our members a better idea of how your kitchen is set up. 

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular kitchen projects

Here are some handy links to guide you:

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your kitchen makeover.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LouiseS
Getting Established

Thanks so much for the information @EricL .

The interior shelves are chipboard, what would you recommend for them?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LouiseS

Standard indoor paint will work nicely with your chipboard shelves. You also have the option of using Boyle 1.5m x 45cm Rattan Self Adhesive Film.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects