Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen reno layout ideas - Kaboodle kitchen

clancy504
Growing in Experience

Kitchen reno layout ideas - Kaboodle kitchen

Hi, I’ve been reading lots of posts on here and everyone seems to be so helpful so thought I’d ask.  I’m after any help / feedback anyone wants to give please - I’m not very good at visualising things or making decisions 😀  

I’m looking at getting a Kaboodle kitchen and had them out for a consult- I like what they did, but am overthinking it all now as I have to make a final decision before ordering it. I’ve sort of decided on white gloss doors and a “Cinnamon” stone bench top. 
The space isn’t very big (3645 x 2685) and there’s not a whole lot of changes that can be made to the layout. I’ll attach a couple of pics so you can see what the existing kitchen is. 

The design they came up with is oven tower next to fridge, then a blind pantry next to it. Cooktop will move slightly to left so it’s centred on the bench. The little corner bench at the left hand end will go and bench will be a straight line with a couple of drawer units in instead of base cupboards. 

I’m undecided about the oven tower - the microwave part is at the top - I think it would sit about 153-183 cm high and I’m only 163cm tall and not sure if it might be hard to use. Has anyone used one that high?  But if I don’t use one I don’t know where I’d put the microwave (and I use it a lot) and I’d have to rethink everything. 

Also they suggested a range hood cabinet similar to what’s there already - Is there any reason they are higher than the other cabinets ? I think it would look better if the bottom of the range hood lined up with the bottom of the other cabinets but not sure if that’s possible. 
Sorry this is so long - thanks if you’ve read this far - & any feedback will be much appreciated. 

07CCF581-8E56-401A-B1EF-B84DA861B1D6.jpeg0BC4E7AD-1D85-4F00-A5D3-E0E09B8A6766.jpeg

Re: Kitchen reno layout ideas - Kaboodle kitchen

IMG_2766[1].jpg

ok so this is my kitchen.  Very rough measurements taken by me are: 1900 along the wall with the fridge (not including the bench/cupboards.

2860 along the wall with the stove and oven and 2000 along the wall with the window.  My budget is approx $10000 - for everything, including appliances, sink, tapware etc.  I would need to retile the kitchen floor as well in this budget. I would have the entire kitchen gutted and start from scratch.

My wish is to have cupboards that go all the way up to the ceiling, using bulkheads to cover the gap where necessary.  

I have many questions regarding this potential reno.  Can I have someone actually come out and take accurate measurements and give me design ideas?  Will the new kitchen be installed by a professional?  Can i organise benchtops through Bunnings?What about plumbing if required?  I have my own electrician.

How long does a renovation like this typically take?  sorry for the bombardment of questions and information.  Any help at all is appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Dee1974,

Many thanks for the additional details. If you would like, you can start your own discussion so more members become aware of your project and questions. 

You can certainly have someone come out and take accurate measurements and we offer an In-Home kitchen consultation for that purpose. Please be advised this service is not available in all states at the moment.

Bunnings certainly do supply benchtops and there is a great range to select from. Through the In-Home consultation process, we can put you in touch we relevant trades to have the kitchen installed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @clancy504,

Hope you are staying safe and well.

How did you go with your splashback? It would be great to see what you went with as this has been an extremely popular project with the Bunnings Workshop community.

Please let us know if we can help with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @clancy504 (@Jason )

Maybe you've succumbed to inertia as you suggested and r living with it as is :wink:

If you r still thinking, my first thought was glass--I figure it'd be easier to clean than tile grout. However, when I redid mine I opted for tiles because I have a gas hob & glass required additional heat insulation plus the gas required additonal clearance to the exhaust fan meaning the standard glass panels wouldn't fit. I found some 900x300 tiles to minimise the grout lines (& cleaning). I chose gloss white because i got the  cupboard doors 2PAC'd in gloss white. Turns out they were better than anticipated--they have a nice wavy pattern that, when the lights are on, throws patterns of light onto the (black granite patterned gloss laminate) benchtop for an extra touch. I've included a small photo below (the benches are cluttered with cooking prep for Xmas). I used the same tile as splashback around the sink etc using the full 900mm but in hindsight they look out of place except behind the cooktop. Cheers, Peter

900x300 tile splashback900x300 tile splashback

Hi @Dee1974 

R u still looking for ideas about your reno?

Cheers, Peter

clancy504
Growing in Experience

Hey thanks for the idea - my mother got sick so i’ve been staying with her for a few months  and I haven’t done anything about the splash back yet (also inertia😀)

I really like the big white tiles- can you show me a pic of around the sink where you think they look out of place ? don’t worry about the kitchen mess, we all have lots of it! I have a window over my sink so haven’t got much space - maybe I could lay them horizontally 

cheers

Chris

@clancy504 Sorry to hear about your Mum....hope she's better.

Here's some photos 😊 as requested--definitely not a magazine photo shoot quality. As you'll see, I have a window over the benchtop too. I kept the tiles vertical & cut them down to fit. Bcos there was no exposed edge, I used both ends of a cut tile so only used 1/2 as many for that area, saving some $ 😃  At the right edge of the window thru to the side wall (see 2nd photo) I used full tiles that don't appeal to me. I think I would've preferred keeping them the same height as the base of the window (about 300mm). BTW, the walls are 2700mm, which I think is why I decided to use full tiles. And a tip: make sure you don't end up with narrow tiles--the tile at the right edge is about 40 mm beside the window  & cracked thru as the house moved. I should've aligned the tiles to have a full width tile. Also, the cupboard doors look yellow in the photo but are gloss white in real-life & a good match for the tiles. Happy decision making...

Cheers, Peter

Looking towards cooktopLooking towards cooktop

(in case you r wondering, that's a tray of mangoes on the cooktop, & a sifter & tray for a brownie slice)

kitchen tiles_4.jpg

Looking away from the cooktop 

Light reflection from tilesLight reflection from tiles

Trying to show the light reflecting from the tiles...more obvious at nite.

clancy504
Growing in Experience

Thanks for pics - I think they look pretty good. I was thinking glass, but the tiles would be lots cheaper. Now I need to get motivated and decide 😃 Thanks for your help

sandra-reno
Finding My Feet

Hi,

Not sure if you can do this with kaboodle but I would suggest to keep the microwave in the tower, but put the oven under the cooktop. This would allow to move the microwave a little down, I think the suggested height is too high. I'm 172cm and our microwave is the bench level, see photo below. An alternative is to put microwave under bench level on a blind shelf if that makes sense, of course if you have small kids this could be out of question :laugh:

Regarding the range hood, you want it higher than your cabinet level for 2 good reasons. 1, cabinets are at a lower level so you can reach them. You're not grabbing anything from the rangehood. (Unless you have a little shelf.sitting in front of the range for spices)

2. The area of suction will be actually bigger if you put it higher. So it's not a direct tunnel between the cooktop and the range, it's more like a trapezoid that the range can suck away. the lower you move it the less area it covers, but obviously it has a height range it can do to stay efficient at sucking away hot air and smells.

IMG_20190215_181247_467.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects