Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen renovation brainstorming help wanted

renonewbie
Cultivating a Following

Kitchen renovation brainstorming help wanted

Hi there, we are a family of 3 living in a 2 bedroom two storey townhouse. Have just had a little addition to the family and so am wanting to renovate our downstairs living area to make her (bub) more visible and open up the living space area. 

I will get a builder in to complete and assist as there is hopefully going to be some bigger structural changes - ie. opening kitchen to living so pulling down a wall or else part of (depending on the loadbearing necessity of the wall).

Main goals are 

1. open up living space to join kitchen to living room through removing the wall section or if needed leaving a structural part of the wall and make it a bit of a statement pillar with wood cladding.

2. if able to open up fully, have an island bench with a lower set timber surround for a dining table (make up for the lack of space)

3. potentially moving laundry into small area in garage - to then free up the 'laundry room' to become an office/spare space. would remove the pantry from laundry space and incorporate pantry storage into new kitchen thus allowing me to make the laundry/new room a bit bigger by eating into the garage 

- here is the plans, my own very rudimentary new plans and photos

Any help much appreciated - let me know what more information or photos you might need? 

I'm struggling mostly as I know I need to move the stove top but obviously need a floor to ceiling space so as to have a vent but because of the doors/windows there is not much option. My thoughts were to move the door into the 'laundry' and use that space for the stove top

Thanks 

Detailed downstairs layout.jpg

Whole house planWhole house plankitchen window.jpgliving space sans furniture for referenceliving space sans furniture for referencerudimentary plansrudimentary plansknock down wall where macrame hanging is...knock down wall where macrame hanging is...kitchen space - door into laundrykitchen space - door into laundry

renonewbie
Cultivating a Following

Re: Kitchen Renovation Brain Storming Help Please

Hi @EricL 

Sorry for being so slow to reply. Those drawing are fabulous. It gives us a great idea of what will work for our place. I think we will end up going with that. 
I'll let you know how we get on. 

Thanks again,

Clare

Re: Kitchen Renovation Brain Storming Help Please

Keep us updated, Clare @renonewbie and please reach out if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects