Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Leak from cold water through to the tap handle

lalithsoni
Getting Established

Leak from cold water through to the tap handle

Hi there- this is my first post as I can’t seem to solve this issue through other channels so thought I could get some help here. I got this tap off eBay- worked fine for few months but it started dripping so when I looked below there was a lot of water collected and now if I keep the hot water on , there is no leak but the cold watered leaks through below and also through the handle.. I have tried to remove and reinstall but can’t figure out why the water gushes out of the handle when I turn the cold water on.

appreciate  any advise here please and thank you 

AF4BE60F-E965-4A56-AF94-2A22008333C0.jpeg

7C7D9BCC-1266-4955-9987-4F994DC7F89A.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Leak from cold water throufh to the tap handle

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lalithsoni. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I apologise for the delay in my response.

It sounds like there is more going on than just a loose hose connection. Please check to see that the little black 'O'ring on the end of the cold water inlet hose is intact and that the hose is tightly connected to the sink mixer.

The fact that it only leaks through the handle and underneath when using the cold water makes me believe there might be an issue with the ceramic cartridge or internal mechanism. You could remove the handle and take the ceramic cartridge into a store to see if we have a suitable replacement. I'd hazard a guess that an 'O'ring on the ceramic cartridges body has cracked and the cold water is bypassing it allowing the leak to occur.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

77BA70BF-C36F-4234-929E-DEA242082B16.jpeg

0336E07B-F32C-46A9-AAB6-146CC44726A4.jpeg

 thank you Mitchell for the response and advise. You might be right. I have attached photos of the tap holder and can’t seem to understand on how I can remove the cartridge. Appreciate your advise and thank you once again 

@lalithsoni,

If you look inside the hole where you have unscrewed the handle from there should be a grub screw. Once the grub screw is removed the rest of the handle section should come off and you'll have access to the cartridge.

Please let me know how you go.

Mitchell

image.jpg

  

image.jpg

Hi Mitchell- thank you once again. I have done the bit and attached is the cartridge and the ceramic ring . They all ok ok to me without any crack. Do you think it’s worthwhile to replace the cartridge and try again? Do you suggest anything else that I do ? 
I am really determined to fix this and you’be been of amazing help with your suggestions. 

image.jpg

Hi @lalithsoni,

I would advise reassembling the tap and seeing if the issue continues. The cartridge might have been misaligned within the body of the tap allowing water to bypass the blue seals.

Failing that working the next step would be to replace the cartridge with a new one.

Mitchell

Thank YOU. It works like a brand new tap now. Really appreciate your time and advise Mitchell.

Re: Leak from cold water through to the tap handle

Fantastic, thanks for letting us know @lalithsoni.

Next time we would obviously recommend you buy from Bunnings to avoid any headaches, but we might be a little biased. 😁

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden, or have something to share with our wonderful community.

Thanks again,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects