Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New floor over old tiles in kitchen reno

Caz68
Just Starting Out

New floor over old tiles in kitchen reno

We are in the process of buying this cute unit for our mum to live in and I am going to rip out kitchen and put a new one in :smile: 

so I want to update the floor well I guess I could leave it but I am guessing the tiles won’t go under the cabinets and to fit a dishwasher in I think I will have to do a L shape kitchen not the U 

so my question is what is the best option to go over the tiles I don’t want to have to rip them up as that sounds messy and hard work . I was wondering if the laminate planking would be ok to go straight over top I realise that where tiles are missing I will have to maybe add ply or thin something . 
but has anyone successfully done the planking without removing the exisiting floor 

cheers 

0B65810A-1F60-4A5F-AC93-310D0E9293DD.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: solild advice on kitchen reno

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Caz68. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Hybrid Vinyl Plank flooring is extremely versatile as it can be installed over many types of existing flooring. You'll just need to make sure that your tiles are reasonably flat and any damaged tiles are repaired or replaced before laying the flooring.

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to lay vinyl plank flooring

You might also like to read through these previous discussions about flooring laid over tiles: Renovations by @Marg19 and New flooring on top of old tiles by @KatyS.

If you'd like to supply us some measurements of the kitchen space our members could assist you with some layout options.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: solild advice on kitchen reno

Hello @Caz68 

I do believe there is enough space for a dishwasher. Have a look and tell us what you think. I see no issue using hybird or melamine click on flooring. You can use cement or timber to make up the difference in the level of the tiles so that the artificial flooring will lay level. Good luck, stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

caz68kitchen1.jpgcaz68kitchen2.jpgcaz68kitchen3.jpgcaz68kitchen4.jpgcaz68kitchen5.jpgcaz68kitchen6.jpgcaz68kitchen7.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects