Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New small kitchen layout ideas

Footsore
Getting Established

New small kitchen layout ideas

Recently moved into a coastal house built back in the 80s by an owner builder handyman. The kitchen is very dated and in poor condition with non standard sized cabinets and three blind corners two with no access so I'm going to replace it. 

My wife and I are both in our sixties so ease of access without bending is a main requirement.

A list of things we want include:

An elevated oven, not under bench type.

As many underbench drawers for storage as possible and as few underbench cupboard doors as possible. (Even under the cooktop if possible)

A dishwasher.

A pantry with good access and storage above bench height and draws below bench height. ( Like the Kaboodle 900mm option)

Need to make access to the corners easier so that we can use the space. The current kitchen has 300mm either side of the stove blocked off with no access at all.

The kitchen area is pretty small. The main back wall across under the windows is 3.64 meters. Left hand side from the fridge to the back wall is 3.1 meters with a max of 3.3 if some light and fan switches were relocated. Right hand wall is 2.7 meters from a sliding door to the back wall but existing bench is at 2.5 meters and a power point would have to be moved to get the full 2.7 meters. No big problem is required.

What we hope to end up with is a nice useable kitchen with easy access storage and oven so that bending over is kept to a minimum.

I have included some photos of what we have now and we would be grateful for any suggestions.

IMG20200601105324.jpgIMG20200601105346.jpgIMG20200601105409.jpgIMG20200601105943.jpgIMG20200601105540.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New Small Kitchen Layout Ideas

Welcome to the Workshop community @Footsore. Many thanks for your question on layout ideas, I'd be happy to start the discussion.

Let me first of all mention the fantastic @redracer01 to see if he might be able to assist us with some ideas.  Since the windows span that entire wall, maximising the overhead storage will encroach on their vista if we place cupboards on the wall close to them.

Did you want the bench return into the middle of the room removed to open up space for better access? Also, is there any specific budget you had for this project?

I look forward to seeing what our helpful member's recommendations are for your kitchen.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your prompt reply Mitchell. The bench return gets a lot of use for food preparation and serving etc and because space is tight we can't fit in an island bench so I reckon we would need it replaced. It also stores all of our crockery and cutlery etc.

Our budget is pretty much whatever it's going to cost to save bending old backs and having easy access using drawers and sliding baskets etc.

I did notice a suggestion for a lower mounted wall oven to give easier access to a microwave oven in an oven tower. I liked that idea.

If the bench return could be done away with opening up to the the space but still have enough storage  and bench space I would be all.in favour of it. The cupboards we have now really have poor access so it could be done I suppose.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Footsore,

I've put together a layout using as many draws as possible, with a mid-wall oven and microwave unit and have left out the bench return. We could replace the return, but removing it has allowed addition cupboard and bench space. This is just one of many different layouts and is purely an example of inspiration. You might wish to check out the Kaboodle 3D kitchen planner to see what options are available.

Mitchell

Front view.pngLHS.pngRHS.png

Wow thanks Mitchell. That really does open up the space. My wife isn't too sure though because she thinks she will miss the bench return but is thinking about it. 

That oven microwave height looks pretty good and I hadn't thought about having the oven there.  Is there a minimum distance from the cooktop to that cabinet?

The other thoughts I have are having the pantry fix to have drawers in the bottom section and the dishwasher near the sink. What type of cabinets would you advise for the corners?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

This is purely a little bit of inspiration @Footsore. The bench return can always be worked back into it, we'll just need to re-arrange some cabinetry. The minimum height required from the stove to the range hood cabinet above is 600mm. To the cupboard on the right, let me mention @redracer01 to see if they can tell us.

You could put the dishwasher next to the sink, however, you'll then lose open access in the corner cupboards. With the bi-fold door as it is now, you can open it fully to gain reasonable access to the two shelves bottom and middle. With the dishwasher occupying the 900mm position next to it, you'll then be left with one 450mm door to access right back into the far corner making it more difficult.

Mitchell

Yes I see what you mean. I didn't realise that the cupboard under the sink was 900. I thought a 600 wide would be all that was needed. Seem to run out of room pretty quickly.

Iwas in Bunnings today and picked up a planning grid and product guide so will have a play with it. 

Marg' my wife has decided on a very light blue colour for the cabinets so we'll be using painted raw doors and panels in the country style with Bamboo or Ash benchtops. At least we've decided that.

It is turning out to be a tricky design project but I'm sure we'll get something to that ticks all the boxes. 

Hello @Footsore 

Let me first mention @MitchellMc excellent layout for your kitchen. Your Kaboodle layout skills are looking great. Distance of wall cabinets to cooktop is 600mm if electric and 700mm if gas. These are the common distances but not absolute. Please consult your local council on the rules. If I get a chance I will throw in my suggestions for your kitchen.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks @redracer01 and @MitchellMc 

I am definitely grateful for any help you can give idea wise.

Our main aim is ease of use. We hope for no more trying to get up from our knees when removing a hot casserole from the oven or trying to find a saucepan or bowl at the back of an under bench cupboard. Hopefully raising the oven and using more drawers and some corner cupboard wire things will make this possible.

I have no experience at all in this so any suggestions welcome.🙂

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Footsore 

You are correct when saying "space runs out real fast". I've placed as many drawers as possible in the allowable space. The doors for the 600 pantry will have to be custom cut ( multi purpose panel ) and hinge holes drilled in but other than that everything is  standard kaboodle flat pack. Metal sided 600 drawer kits will need to be used for the bottom part of the pantry. I've left your microwave in the same spot as it is in an ideal location. Hip height, below your shoulder easy to access. I've placed some shelves to make sure the coffee, tea and sugar are within easy reach there's just more space for it. The silver teapots and brass collection can go to the very top shelf in their own display area. The cups can occupy the middle shelf. The key holder will have to move to the other wall near the bottled preserves. I've lowered the oven to elbow height to give you even greater access to it without any bending what so ever. Enjoy the pictures, may it inspire you to explore the possibilities. Good luck and stay safe!

You can bring this drawing to a Bunnings near you and have it quoted.

Cheers,

Red

The corners :

The device featured below will allow you to pull the baskets completely out from a blind corner cabinet. No kneeling on both knees, no kneeling on your elbows.

Screenshot_2020-06-02 Kaboodle 2 Tier Blind Corner Soft Close Pullout Baskets.pngfootsore1.jpgfootsore2.jpgfootsore3.jpgfootsore4.jpgfootsore6.jpgfootsore7.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects