Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New subway tile kitchen splashback

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

New subway tile kitchen splashback

SubwayTile.jpg

Given we were going to do a full kitchen reno but we're instead building a new home, we thought the splashback could at least do with a facelift, especially with how stoked we were with how our laundry reno turned out.

So here's a few pics of the process....

Before

before.jpg

Check out the ghastly powerpoints and red exposed on the tiles...

Splashback2.jpg

So off came the builder spec tiles (mmmmm satisfying)

1.jpg

Then as with any job, prep prep prep...

2.jpg

Getting the first row right is critical so take your tie, use your yellow wedge spacers and a spirit level if things are a bit off. I was going on a flat bench in great cond so no real issues for me but something to keep in mind especially if you're bridging a gap for example.

As you move up the wall it gets messy but don't stress, all that excess adhesive is easy to scrap/wipe off once it's all dry. To avoid too much mess a) don't overdo it with the adhesive, and b) just before you place you next tile run you finger along the side and top of the tiles it'll be going next to - it reduces the amount of adhesive that seaps out when you apply some pressure.

3.jpg

I used a grinder for all my cuts which I find easier for these small (200x100) subway tiles - you just need a steady hand. Obviously a tile cutter is a better way to go for the big tiles. Remember that if you use a grinder you lose about 4mm of the tile for your cut so if you cut a 200mm tile in half at the 100mm mark one piece will be 100mm and the other about 96mm - this is not good when following a pattern so keep the 96mm piece for small cuts you might need to make.

Always work with a clean station - it makes for a better end product. I thoroughly cleaned the tiles before startign the dreaded grouting stage. Again, when grouting the excess that gets on the tiles is easy to scrape/clean off so don't let it get to you. One thing I will note is that I personally find it better to focus your grout on the gaps needing grouting rather than smearing it everywhere like some people suggest - saves you cleaning up too much after and I feel it gives a better finish.

pregrout.jpg

Note from the pic above what this would've looked like with a darker grout which is also common with subway tiles. We went with white to a) make the space look a bit bigger, and b) appeal to more tastes (given we're selling in a year). Make sure you seal the grout!

Grouting is done, bit of cleaning to go and silicone for the edges which means it's time to start celebrating :smile: Any excuse'll do for a beer, right?

Splashback1.jpg

Once the (tedious) silicone is done and the new white slimline powerpoints are on, time to replace the appliances and get the 'after' shot.

ppoint1.jpg

After

after1.jpg

after2.jpg

Would love to hear what you think...especially if you (honestly) think it'd make a difference to you opinion of the kitchen as a potential buyer.

I'll also be adding some box shelves in the whitespace next but was keen to share this now.

Looking forward to sharing the next one with you :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Re: New subway tile kitchen splashback

@ProjectPete wrote:

Quite the coincidence @Former Workshop member - I built that house with Celebration Homes :smile:

More recently I've built a new home with Aveling.

Where abouts are you located? 

G'day mate, 

Sorry I had a messy day yesterday and must have missed this one!
I am in Perth WA, Mindarie. I thought that layout was WAY to similar! As to using Celebrations...well I hope Aveling are good...
For the record I did not build with Celebrations...I bought a newly completed house that the owner had lived in for a few weeks and I inherited the relationship with Celebrations from the owner who promptly skedaddled. Oh yeah...

Cheers,

Josh

G'day @Former Workshop member #Josh😁

Sorry mate I'm having one of those very vague days after two crazy teenagers in the house had to be tranquilized at midnight so we could sleep 🤪🤪🤣🤣

Just read your post and was just hoping for a clearer idea of what you are saying.

Please don't take any offence as I am just trying to read it the right way.

Kind regards Rob 👍

What a coincidence @Former Workshop member - I grew up in Mindarie!

Celebrations were good to deal with but not the highest quality build. Being the first home I'd built I was happy overall. Took a lot of learnings into building with Aveling who have provided a mostly high quality build but have been very average to deal with.

----------
Handy and helpful

Love it, love it! I would because that's how I have designed my kitchen. Having the same colours and the same tiles! Nice to see a cooker top in the middle for once instead of being stuck in the corner? Looks very classy! Thank you for posting, now i can show my poor husband who will be doing all the work, what our kitchen will eventually look like.
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@gippslandhome wrote:

G'day @Former Workshop member #Josh😁

Sorry mate I'm having one of those very vague days after two crazy teenagers in the house had to be tranquilized at midnight so we could sleep 🤪🤪🤣🤣

Just read your post and was just hoping for a clearer idea of what you are saying.

Please don't take any offence as I am just trying to read it the right way.

Kind regards Rob 👍

G'day @gippslandhome,

My apologies...the vaguary is much more from my comment! Rereading it I can see that it was ambiguous...trying to squeeze too many thoughts into a few paragraphs! The failure was mine HOWEVER NO OFFENCE was intended to anyone.

I am in agreement with you! I have not been a tiler for 27 years; so I can't quote from that kind of experience. To be able to come to a place where there are a number of people with differing skill sets and get free (and friendly!) advice from guys like yourself is fantastic. My skill set allows me to advise on a number of construction items; hopefully they can be useful somewhere! However I have to be careful as I wouldn't want to give advice that was inadvertently wrong (say I designed some decking for someone but did a 'whoopsy' and it ended up failing...); hence the mention of liability.

The other point that was mixed up in there was very obtuse...again my apologies :unhappy: I am a member of a number of forums - I think I have mentioned that I am building a soundproofed bedroom and I am an avid musician - so forums along those lines. Unfortunately those forums are littered with misinformation, outright lies, ego's and hostility (at the least). My point there was that I can recognise there are some EXTREMELY knowledgeable guys in a particular area on these forums; but due to whatever reasons (sadly the main one seems to be ego; at least that is what I have found) they will not readily share their knowledge with people.

What saddens me is that all the awesome knowledge they have is eventually going to be lost (as in...no one lives forever...). My present circumstances (and my maternally inherited inquisitive nature) allow me the privilege of learning and trying a number of different things now...so those forums have been a real struggle to get anything from.

At the end of it all it has been a pleasure meeting a few here and just seeing the general positivity! Guys like yourself are happy to share their differing skill sets and everyone seems to be positive about things. As you mentioned there is so much to learn and this seems a great place to list anything construction related!

Hopefully that essay clears up what I intended to say? Funny you mention tranquilizing your kids :hysterical: I actually get a very bad back (I was born with a sixth - or an extra - lumbar vertebrae!) and can only sleep if I have a painkiller before bed. Sometimes it takes two - which is fine as per my PRESCRIBED med's - but sometimes I will wake up a little...umm...'slower' than normal! From reading what I wrote i believe I was still half asleep.

Again apologies for the 'huh?' comment - I am sure there are a number of people scratching their heads wondering what I am on about - however there were only positive remarks intended. 

Cheers

Josh

ps: sorry @ProjectPete for dragging this WAY off topic...I hate doing that. My apologies

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@ProjectPete wrote:

What a coincidence @Former Workshop member - I grew up in Mindarie!

Celebrations were good to deal with but not the highest quality build. Being the first home I'd built I was happy overall. Took a lot of learnings into building with Aveling who have provided a mostly high quality build but have been very average to deal with.

Again...my apologies @ProjectPete mate...

How about that! I grew up in Ocean Reef (after moving from NZ) and always used to boogie board up at Claytons! That is actually one of the reasons I moved here...the beach is my 'happy place' and it reminded me of my childhood. 

Plus it's walking distance to the MIndarie Brewery :wink:

I have actually found Celebrations did one of the worst constructon jobs ever (as in the bricklayers left a section of the exterior leaf of the double brick wall out because it clashed with a boundary pier). Yes...read it again. I am not joking. Due to it's location it is one of the rare instances where the external leaf has become a load bearing as well...
In addition dealing with them...yeah...I have to say that eventually I just gave up and (where legal!) I have just redone the work myself. 
If I may ask though...have you come across the dreaded internal white set/float coat 'spider web cracking' in either build? I may actually start a discussion on this (if one hasn't been already)...

@Former Workshop member 

I think you nailed it in your comments.

And I have to agree that this community is an awesome Community to be apart of and to share each other's knowledge and wisdom.

All the best 👍

Kind regards Rob

Spent a lot fo time at Clayton's myself @Former Workshop member !

Yes, I got the 'spiderweb cracking' int he Celebration build, but not the Aveling. Pretty sure I have either posted about it previously or responded to someone else's post about ti so do a quick search and you should find it. I suggested a great product to use to address it.

----------
Handy and helpful

I realise this oldish thread has been resurrected. I just wanted to say that re-doing that splashback made that kitchen look a whole let better :smile: Presumably you have now sold this home?

Yes @Mathy sold that house.

This is the splashback in my new one.

Screenshot_20190809-173052_Instagram.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects