Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Oak chopping board

AnitaP
Having an Impact

Oak chopping board

I cut 19mm thick Tasmanian Oak into 30mm strips on the table saw.

Turned these strip's on their side so that the board will have a thickness of 30mm.

Arranged strip's to make approx. width of 300mm, the Max width of my Planer.

Glued and clamped tight for 24 hours.

Ran through the planer/thicknesser until smooth even surface.

Gave a sand with 120 and 240 grit.

Rounded over the edges with a router.

Gave another 240 sand over the sides.
400 grit sandpaper all over.

Screwed on feet.

Finished with a food grade wax.

20211129_171109.jpg

20211125_163308.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: oak chopping board

Hello @AnitaP

What a gorgeous-looking chopping board. What brand of glue did you use to stick them together? The last time I made a chopping board, I used an affordable glue and it immediately broke in half when my wife dropped the board on the floor. How long did it take to finish the entire project? If you have any other projects going on, please don't hesitate to share them. We look forward to seeing your next creation. 

Again, thank you for sharing such a beautiful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: Oak chopping board

Simple but looks great. Well done @AnitaP 

AnitaP
Having an Impact

Thanks @EricL 

I used Aquadhere interior glue. Ahhh now I feel I might need to test mine and drop it.  Was hoping to maybe make one as a gift and certainly don't want it breaking should it be dropped.

It didn't take very long to do. Maybe about 45mins/an hour plus the time for glue to set, which I left for 24hours.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Eric and Anita.

"What brand of glue did you use to stick them together?"

I remember when Kevin Rudd was tossing money at Australians (2007?) and we foolishly bought a Lofra stove-top/oven. Worst thing we ever bought. It had a laminated glass top that flipped up to become a splash-back - and lowered to cover the gas burners.

It shattered a few years back - destroyed by a falling bottle of tomato sauce.

I tried to make a laminated board, similar to Anita's above to cover the burners when not in use, but found I needed sash cramps for the 600mm X 700mm project. Dunno what glue I used and I had only two clamps - but it just banana-ed. If you eased the clamp pressure the bow disappeared but gaps appeared. In the end I gave up and bought a bench top 2400mm X 600mm X 25mm for $99 from Bunnings. Sliced off 700mm and bingo - stove-top cover and chopping board. Dunno the brand or the wood type but it has stood up to shameful abuse and been dropped a few times with no damage, nor has it bowed.

What glue do the manufacturers use to make these laminated boards?

20211201_075641.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Noyade

This is the perfect opportunity to sand and varnish that stovetop cover to give it a new finish. The timber manufacturers don't really mention a glue brand. But they do say that it is a glue free from formaldehyde.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Cheers Eric. Noyade_0-1638400946308.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects