Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting brand new and used cupboards - Dulux renovator range

alyssaoliveira
Just Starting Out

Painting brand new and used cupboards - Dulux renovator range

Hi!

Sorry i am a first time DIYer 🙂
My husband and I bought our first home. We have decided we will rent it out for about 3-5 years. 
But, we have a kitchen which is not in the best condition. We have decided (due to budget), to not completely rip out the kitchen cupboards, but to salvage what we can and use the dulux renovator range to redo the cupboards and bench top. Anything that we cant salvage we will replace. So we will keep the bench top and some of the cupboards, but anything else we need we will buy brand new. This include replacing the pantry and a few cupboards. We are planning on painting all of the cupboards/pantry new and old so that the kitchen will match. My question might be a silly one, but will that work and will it be easy enough to do (being brand new material as well). We are looking at purchasing the Bedford white door pantry.

Has anybody painted used the renovator range on new products? Did it turn out?
Thanks,

Alyssa

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting Brand New and used Cupboards- Dulux renovator range

Welcome to the Workshop community @alyssaoliveira. Congratulations on buying your first home! What an exciting time planning your new kitchen.

What colour are you going to paint all the cupboards? If you are going with white you might find the Bedford white is a close enough match that you don't need to paint them. There are no issues with using the Dulux Renovator range on new cupboards as long as you follow the preparation and application instructions on the tin. 

My preference would be not painting the new cupboards if possible. In the future, if you replace the old cupboards you may then need to paint those also to match. When you eventually move into the property it would be preferable to have non-painted cabinetry instead of having to paint everything to match.

I trust our helpful community members will have plenty of advice for you on painting new cupboards. You might also like to share some images of the kitchen as this will assist members with some other possible solutions.

We're looking forward to seeing your kitchen renovation come together. If you need further advice or had other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

Can you please let me know what is the most popular option for splash back, bench tops and cabinet doors? Satin or gloss?

we were thinking satin for the cabinet doors and gloss for the bench top and splash backs? But not sure!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Merryn. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to give some advice.

Gloss paints are generally used to highlight an area and draw the attention to it, however, if the surfaces they are being painted on aren't perfect then they can make the imperfections more visible. Satin finishes, on the other hand, do a good job of concealing imperfections but don't draw attention as much.

Really, the choice between Gloss and Satin is a personal one and is down to preference.

We look forward to seeing your kitchen get a painted refresh and trust you'll find lots of inspiration, advice and information for it within the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects