Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Polished concrete or tiles?

Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

Polished concrete or tiles?

We’re removing the laminate flooring in our kitchen. I have always loved polished concrete floors - not the super shiny polished concrete. Rather slightly rustic concrete floors. 
Anyone have any experience with this? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Polished concrete or tiles?

Hi @Ang_flange,

You should check out what @ProjectPete did with his new house. Here's the discussion where he was asking for opinions like you, and here's how they came up. 

We went with polished concrete for our backyard games room and were pleased with the end result. It's lovely under the feet in both summer and winter. We didn't quite get the colour we were after after it was sealed though and it's changed a little where the sun hits it.  

Have you got an existing concrete slab underneath the laminate? We did a new build and still got cracks, which initially I was disappointed with but is probably par for the course. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Jason ,

Thanks for your reply and the links. 
It is an existing slab - approx 30 years old. 
I’m in Queensland so not too worried about it being cold in winter. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey again @Ang_flange, have you removed the laminate as yet? A few photos of the concrete might help kick this discussion along and get you some more advice from members.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects