Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommend a Fry Pan that stays non-stick?

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Recommend a Fry Pan that stays non-stick?

Can anyone recommend a good non-stick fry pan that actually lasts? We’ve bought a few expensive ones over the years and are always careful with only using soft plastic utensils and gently washing (no scouring) but they never seem to last much beyond a year. It seems the coating just doesn’t last and you might as well buy a cheap one and just throw it out. But I hate being wasteful.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Recommend a Fry Pan that stays non-stick?

Hi @AndreaNg,

Have you tried seasoning your pan when it starts to stick? 

After you've given the pan a good clean, heat it up on the stove and apply a thin coat of oil - about a teaspoon or so. Leave it on the heat for just a minute or two and then rub with kitchen paper. If you do this consistently the oil should fill any scratches and/or thin parts of the coating. 

As a general note, I believe too much heat can often kill the non-stick surface. Spray-on oils can also be troublesome. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
stupidfish
Building a Reputation

We have a few scanpan frying pans at home and are really happy with them. You need to make sure you don't have the heat up too high and clean the pans in warm soapy water.

I'm not sure that anything will be non-stick forever but i tend to find the more expensive brands do last longer than the cheap ones you can buy at your local supermarket.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I've been through some expensive Anolon and Scanpan and neither have lasted (well, and for the price) long enough for me. 2 years max.

Don't know which brand I'll go with next (maybe Circulon) but I do find the Tefal non-stick are best value for money. They last about 2 years but are only about $40 for a frypan.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

irony1.jpg

Sophie
Finding My Feet

I've used a brand called Chefs Toolbox, which is mostly availble online and they are great! Had them for years and just as non-stick as the day we bought them. Best tip is not to wash them too thoroughly, as the soap products destroy the non-stick element. The best thing is to just rinse with warm water, letting some of the oils from your cooking hang around which actually helps protect the pan for the long term. Really recommend Chefs Toolbox! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the recommendation @Sophie.

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. I hope you find it a valuable place for learning and sharing. Feel free to post about your projects anytime. You might also like to introduce yourself in our Getting Started board. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PocketRocket
Getting Established

@AndreaNg If you're on a budget like myself, I like to use baking paper ontop of my fry pans. Simply spray some oil onto the pan, place the baking paper ontop and then spray the paper with more oil to cook with. 

You will have to replace the paper after about 15 - 20 minutes of cooking depending how high your flame is up but this works a treat for me!

Mon_16
Getting Established

I use TEFAL frying pan. It's very easy to clean afterwards and never gives me any troubles. The quality of the Teflon coating is really good that I don't even need to use lots of oil when i'm cooking.

aly
Making a Splash

I received one of the Stonewell pans (image below) a couple of years ago for Christmas. Works a treat! Whichever you go with, make sure you look into how to best clean it and care for it.

Stonewell Pan

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects