Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Renovating A Small Chest Freezer

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

Renovating A Small Chest Freezer

7661374A-2524-4202-A845-1E04950AEF3E.jpeg

Hi All,

I joined this group in hopes that I can learn from you knowledgeable people as I love a bit of DIY around the home but I don’t know a lot about what steps to follow to get perfect or near perfect results for my projects.

Recently I bought a small chest freezer which still works fine but the outside looks a bit worse for wear so my hope is that I can renovate the exterior and make the little freezer look good again. I purchased it to go in my partners Man Cave when that is completed in our house so I want to make the exterior look a bit rustic/pub like with possibly those vertical slate stones that you stick on and some wooden planks. I know nothing about freezers though, so I was hoping someone might be able to tell me how I’d go about it without damaging its workability or making it unsafe (as I don’t want to cover it with wooden planks and then find its overheated and become a fire hazard). What would my best bet be? 

Thanks again, 

(I might try find images of what I want it to look close to) 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Renovating A Small Chest Freezer

How's it going @LJ1809? It would be great to get an update when you are able to share some pics.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

Hi Jason, 

I have fully sanded down old Chesty and have yet to start with putting wood on it. Have been doing a couple of other house projects that need to be done and of course there’s work and my little ten month old boy has just learned how to walk so I’m having a hard time keeping him out of everything! I will try get onto it or at least start the wood this weekend. Of course photos will follow 😊

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

I have finally gotten round to spray painting the exterior to provide a dark base for any gaps natural would may expose for when I put the wood around the chest freezer. This project is taking a while but life happens! 

please don’t mind our very messy garage! It will be my next project 😂 

3160B59F-5AF4-46AC-95A4-E046BD03B9F7.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects