Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Renovating a 70s kitchen on a budget

skatta
Getting Established

Renovating a 70s kitchen on a budget

Looking for some ideas to renovate my Kitchen within a budget 

11 (1).jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Kitchen Renovation

Thanks for joining us and a big welcome to Workshop @skatta. We trust that you'll receive loads of great information, advice and inspiration for your projects from our ever-helpful and creative community members. 

Looks like you've got a classic 70s kitchen there! Fortunately, there will be plenty of Workshop members keen to give you a hand.

Can I ask approximately what your budget might be? That will help community members provide more useful advice. And are you wanting to complete just a cosmetic update or do you have the funds to make more structural changes?

Let me also alert you to other posts you might find useful: 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
skatta
Getting Established

Hi Jason

Thank you for your Warm welcome message. I am Glad i have found this website.

we are looking for cosmetic update and want to spend a minimal amount. haven't put any limit on the budget yet.

The plans are to sell the property. we also have Bathroom renovations (cosmetic update) in the pipeline as well.

Regards
Skatta
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

@skatta

It's a bathroom post but do check out this discussion from earlier in the week which highlights that paint can do wonders - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Bathroom-and-Laundry/Bathroom-reno/td-p/21664

If you're lucky you might also get some tips from reno expert @2Belindas for painting your tiles and benchtops. 

These might also help:

Hello @skatta
Ha ha You have a great 70's kitchen to do up and your floors are lovely!.. Firstly, remove the swinging bifolds to the kitchen and then I suggest these 3 different options:
First option (most expensive): Remove the brick walls altogether, (first check with engineer if load bearing) and open up and replace with island, or square off brick arches and paint the bricks. Square off/widen the arch in the doorway too. Install a new kitchen.
Second option: Square off and open up the gyprock doorway entry as much as possible, paint the bricks, get a new spashback tile (tile over the existing if they are solid), paint the cupboard doors and add feature knobs, and purchase a new benchtop
Third option: Paint the bricks, paint the tiles (White Knight tile paint), paint the cupboard doors in White Knight Laminate Paint. Paint the benchtops too - my favourite product for benchtops is Rustoleum. If you add some complimentary top cupboards or open shelves (styled), you will lift the look and draw the buyers eye to what is new.
Creating a beautiful home on a budget
skatta
Getting Established

Fantastic thank you @2Belindas.

Is this something Practical in Australia -Epoxy Kitchen Countertop ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAlGfBm9q0k
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks like a great project @skatta! Without knowing your budget I'm going to assume you mean keeping it on the lower side.

So you could go as simple as laminate paint over the existing cabinetry, timber/laminate benchtops, new sink/tapware, new gas cooktop, tiled splashback and paint over the exposed brick or plaster it depending how modern you want to go. Squaring off those arches will also modernise the room. You could do all of this for a few grand at most.

Taking it a bit further you've got the obvious upgrade options of stone/marble benchtops and splashback, induction cooktop and even serving windows.

I think it's definitely worth adding some overhead shelving/cabinetry on the wall where the quote currently is.

Where do you live out of interest?

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thank you ProjectPete. i Live in Perth, WA.

I'm not sure you can buy the product here....you'd probably find it online somewhere.  I think I'd struggle to get the marble to look like marble, so that it looks authentic at first glance.  It looks a little tricky to me.  I'd love to know if anyone has had success with this product.

I know that our students have had great results with the Rustoleum and even our beginners said that it was not difficult to use.

Kindly

Belinda S

Creating a beautiful home on a budget

@skatta wrote:

Thank you ProjectPete. i Live in Perth, WA.

What a coincidence! Me too :smile: I'm actually doing a kitchen (and bathroom and laundry) reno in an old house in Beldon at the moment - coming up a treat :smile: Doing it on a budget as it's just to prep it to sell.

This is how it began

before1.jpg

I like in Guildford BTW.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects