Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Renovating a VERY small 70s kitchen

FHBNewZealand20
Growing in Experience

Renovating a VERY small 70s kitchen

Hi community!

I'm a first home buyer and would love some advice. I have 0 knowledge on renovations and have been busily reading up over the past few months. It's proving hard to find what we want as i have not come across homes with a kitchen as small as ours. 

Budget 10 - 17k. 

Current ambitions: all the cabinetry needs to go. It's damp and old and a simple paint job isn't going to save her. She's bubbling all over the show (and stinks!). I'd like to remove the archway and wall (not low bearing) and extend the kitchen out to window frame (where the 1st red curtain falls - this will give an extra Meter max), adding in a bigger kitchen island. Photos taken pre-fridge. Fridge is now in kitchen. plan on selling this / having as an investment property in 5ish years so I want the material to be durable and low cost (shock). I'd like it to be functional in the sense that we can look out to the lounge whilst cooking. It's an awkward size and area - backs on to the laundry (pictured) and is the main area you walk into as you step into the house from the front door/ranch slider - essentially there is no back wall to add any extra kitchen. The only pantry is on the right hand side (out of the kitchen) built into the home.

20200426_214644.jpg

20200426_214701.jpg

20200426_214714.jpg

20200426_214731.jpg

  

20200426_214752.jpg

Would love some advice on what some experts would do or people who have done a reno similar. Even some photos of similar kitchens would be amazing! Images make it look bigger than it is. 

Re: Renovating a VERY small 70s kitchen

Hello @FHBNewZealand20 

What a beautiful transformation! I'm just glad I could throw in some suggestions to your renovation. I'm sure your efforts will inspire other readers who are thinking of doing the same thing. Just wondering on the budget side how much did you set aside for this renovation? It will give our readers a better idea of what they might be in for should they wish to do something similar. Thank you so much for posting the updates and I hope you enjoy your newly renovated home for many years to come.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi,

Yes, your insight was so helpful! We are beyond thrilled with the final result. 

Sure! Our total cost for the kitchen repair and reno was $24,400. Keep in mind we had to repair the damaged floors (from a kitchen leak). This cost includes removal of fireplace, floors in kitchen and living area, unexpected repairs to our sunken ceiling etc. We were able to save in some areas by doing the demo and painting ourselves.

If I could do it again, the only thing we'd try do ourselves is the Kaboodle assembly. That was quite expensive, however we were time poor and are not great with kitsets! 

Hello @FHBNewZealand20 

Thank you so much for the insight. This was money well spent as the transformation was exceptional and was very comprehensive as it included your floors as well! It is a totally different house from when you started!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

thistles
Just Starting Out

I joined a local woodworking group and one of our newer members has joined because she wants to do a Reno. This way we will learn skills as we go along. Good luck!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @thistles. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

It's wonderful to hear that you've joined a woodworking group and have members interested in completing renovations on their home. I trust it is a fantastic place to learn some practical skills.

What projects and plans do you have around your own house and garden? We'd love to hear all about them and encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share. You'll find loads of interesting projects within the community that our amazing members constantly share with us that I'm sure will inspire you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects